Recommendation for a full range 12" for First Watt amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The orig. EV wasn't the correct driver for the box it was the old SP12b being asked to work as a stand alone. Not the best driver for full range so if I have to go through the work might as well put in something in better suited for the job. There selling for a even two bills, and if they are as of good working shape as described and they sound good then it's a fair price. At least keeping it in the EV family

Still looking at other drivers

Last edited:
What First Watt is that?

:cool:

I wanna say the F1 or F2, got it from a old neighbor of mine in a horse trade. He built it and it's unmarked. It's a lovely sounding amp. Sadly, it wasn't exactly the right match for my orig. Totem Mani's (4ohm, 83db) so it's been sitting in storage for too long.

I couldn't be happier to donate to my parents and turn them on to a really nice sound in there own living room, they been devoid of it for too long. I've temporarily set up a pair of Fritz Carbon 5 monitors/stands hooked up to a 50w. Jolida hybrid/Ps Audio dac/CD carousel transport in the there reading/painting room and my 80 yr old mom is simply blown away. She's now playing music everyday, all day long going through all of her large music collection and she can't believe what she has been missing; she can now understand & hear the vocals in her opera's. She loves opera and classical.

Every time I stop by the music is cranking, neighbors must be going nuts but it sounds really nice (at least to me).

Cheers!

AN Cast Frame 12

Mr. Magee;

My Audio Nirvana Cast Frame 12's aren't beamy , I just toe them in . The larger sound factor was adding pleated fabric window shades to my living room windows.
The AN driver LE parameter you asked about is listed on an earlier in depth post here where Michael Chua of Amplabs kindly posted for us all his testing of his friend's Audio Nirvana 12's.
I use a tube amp and the 2 component Zobel network he recommended worked really well . I used a 31 band EQ to notch out the 2 prominent mid peaks but after logging months of listening time I found I could stop using it altogether so the speaker parameters may have changed after use.
I have mine in a vented 2.8 cabinet which works but is probably undersized for the driver.
They sound really good.

Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 5.58.16 PM.png

Just picked up some Electro Voice 12trxb's, they're in excellent condition & tested well, so for right now the search for drivers are over (unless they EV suck) and can now focus on bracing and fixing up the cabinets.

Just now need to figure out what size vent and depth to make. I'm useless using the cabinet calc's progm. Having a mac doesn't help.

Can anyone recommend me the proper front port diameter and length with a 12txrb in a 4.5 cu.ft. cabinet? I'm struggling with that.

I'm going replacing the front baffle with a new thick piece of MDF. The Trxb's are not light and cabinets really needs to be beefed up and sealed. I'll take pics of the cabinets once there done.

Thanks everyone for the help. Cheers

Last edited:
Maybe just swap the drivers on the existing baffles if the hole pattern works? It gets you running w/o any work and, if your parents like it that way, you are done.

I've learned to always try things in audio because, well, you never know. Pre-TS boxes (that you'd never even think to run after reviewing the alignments) can sometimes surprise you. This way, too, you mind is clear and you are just listening for what you hear instead of what you expect to hear. FWIW.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.