recommend me a driver

Hey guys. I'm thinking about a new project using full-range speakers, and I need your help in picking a driver. Here's the design constraints:

-Full range (no other drivers will be used, and also no sub)

-Will be powered by sonic-impact T-amp, pick power accordingly (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-958)

-The smaller the better (though I know that sometimes conflicts it #1). If possible, I would like to keep it to 2'' or smaller, but feel free to recommend some 3''ers too.

And thats it! Have at it!

Thanks,
Matt
 
Without knowing the intended application, type of music, etc, it's hard to make a recommendation.

e.g. for a nearfield/ LCD computer monitor application the Fostex FF85K, Aura NS3, several models of TangBand, etc will all have their proponents.

But you might be expecting too much if you think that room filling concert levels with deep bass will be possible with a single pair of any of these drivers, regardless of available power and enclosure design.


Now, if there's any way your constraints can be stretched to 4" drivers, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.
 
I totally agree...trouble is, I haven't totally decided on the applications yet. The project design hasn't totally cemented itself yet.

I know a single 3'' or smaller won't produce full, thick, room-filling audio...especially by the standards of anyone who visits this board. But whatever path this project takes, design will ultimately be more important than audio quality (preparing to cover my face from a barrage of rocks). And I don't see any design allowing for 4'' cones. In fact the more and more I think, 3'' will probably be pushing it too.

Again, the path is far from certain, but I'm currently leaning towards something that is more geared towards a small, desktop speaker system/portable mp3-player speaker. But as I still consider myself an audiophile, I want the best sound possible out of this design...richest sound, broadest range, etc.
 
Shpoop said:

But whatever path this project takes, design will ultimately be more important than audio quality (preparing to cover my face from a barrage of rocks). And I don't see any design allowing for 4'' cones.


Now I understand why you sit on a 3" sofa, sleep in a 3" bed, watch TV on a 3" screen, have your cooled beer in a 3" refrigerator, and are still on search for a 3" girl friend.
 

ScottG

Member
2003-02-04 12:23 am
US
I think the biggest problem here with a small driver restriction is your amplifier - simply put, you don't have enough gain for some low freq. boost. If you did, then you could look at an aura 3" driver.

Note that a 3" driver isn't really 3" - that is usually a dimension in combination with the frame, so the drivers ARE (at least visually) smaller than what is spec'ed.

With such constraints (and the above in mind), I'd choose this driver:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-848

In a bass reflex (vented) design.

Visually emulating the Fujitsu Ten Eclipse here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue35/ces0811.htm

(with the vent in the rear.)
 
thanks guys.

I know the amp is not ideal, but remember, this project focuses on design, and I needed something very small and that did not generate much heat.

And actually, do you think you guys could limit suggested drivers to 2''? I don't think I want any bigger than that.

Thanks again
 
ScottG said:
I think the biggest problem here with a small driver restriction is your amplifier - simply put, you don't have enough gain for some low freq. boost. If you did, then you could look at an aura 3" driver.

Note that a 3" driver isn't really 3" - that is usually a dimension in combination with the frame, so the drivers ARE (at least visually) smaller than what is spec'ed.

With such constraints (and the above in mind), I'd choose this driver:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-848

In a bass reflex (vented) design.

Visually emulating the Fujitsu Ten Eclipse here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue35/ces0811.htm

(with the vent in the rear.)

Well, the amp could be ideal. If you put larger input caps in, the bass curve flattens to around 20 to 20. I did it in myt T-amp and it improved the sound immeasurably.

TOm
 

ScottG

Member
2003-02-04 12:23 am
US
Shpoop said:
thanks guys.

I know the amp is not ideal, but remember, this project focuses on design, and I needed something very small and that did not generate much heat.

And actually, do you think you guys could limit suggested drivers to 2''? I don't think I want any bigger than that.

Thanks again

The amp is not that big of an issue.. Its really only an issue if you want to apply lower freq. boost, or have higher spl's.

THERE IS NO, let me repeat that - NO 2 inch driver (measured from the frame) that will provide bass - even if augmented with bass reflex design.

Part of the problem is the driver's high fs, the other part is mms (and a tactile sensation), but its mostly a matter of excursion vs. sd (which is WAY to small).

If you find such a driver, let me know.;)

Because of this, what you are asking for is IMPOSSIBLE. Said differently, change what you are asking for or stop asking (..as it is pointless).:smash:

I'll add these to your list:

Aurasound Whisper 2" - not enough mass, fs isn't low enough.

Bandor 2" - not enough mass, not enough excursion.
 
I understand your frustration, but what I am asking, by definition, is not impossible.

I am NOT asking for 2'' drivers that will give me a rich, full bodied, totally full range sound. I know that's impossible. I am simply asking, in a small, sealed enclosure, which drivers will give me the richEST, fullEST, MOST full range sound. I am not expecting miracles, but would still like to pick the best of my options.

Matt
 

ScottG

Member
2003-02-04 12:23 am
US
Shpoop said:
Hey guys. I'm thinking about a new project using full-range speakers, and I need your help in picking a driver. Here's the design constraints:

-Full range (no other drivers will be used, and also no sub)

-Will be powered by sonic-impact T-amp, pick power accordingly (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-958)

-The smaller the better (though I know that sometimes conflicts it #1). If possible, I would like to keep it to 2'' or smaller, but feel free to recommend some 3''ers too.

And thats it! Have at it!

Thanks,
Matt

This is what you asked for originally.

You then have modified that request as follows:

Now you want only a 2 inch driver..

"do you guys think you could limit suggested drivers to 2"?

Answer - NO.

Finally, you have just added in the constraint of a sealed system as opposed to a reflex one..

"..in a small, sealed enclosure"

Its true, you never specifically asked for bass from the driver, BUT you did mention that it won't be augmented by a subwoofer and that you are willing to sacrifice ultimate sound quality (..in presumably an attempt to obtain a "richer" "fuller" lower freq. response).

The simple fact is that you won't be able to obtain enough of a "fullrange" response to even broach the lower midrange and upper bass at any sp-level approaching even moderate listening levels (low 90's) - even in the near field.

HOWEVER,

At lower sound pressure levels the Bandor (50) Type - 50AFSW/8 will do *exactly* what you are looking for provided it meets its spec. .. at a price. (..and no, to the best of my knowledge there is no other driver like it, there may however be something moderately similar (high q low fs) in the OEM or vintage market.)

I guess what I'm saying is - its still impossible, BUT you can "bend" that restriction by opting for something that won't "play loud". (..of course you can bend that as well by using multiple drivers a'la Audience Audio).