RE: Rotting Surrounds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RE: Rotting Surrounds

ok I know this isn't ur usual speaker stuff...budden I got it off a trash heap and needing some surround speakers for my PC I figure they would work...problem is many of them have their surrounds rotted (which may be why they got thrown out in the 1st place)...any1 has any idea where I can get replacement surrounds...or maybe a cheapie drop in replacement driver for these (they are kinda small)...they came off a JBL 300SAT ... sorry for the fuzzy pics...they were taken off my phone

Attachments

• 0521_213226.jpg
    0521_213226.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 150
You aren't going to buy $2 surrounds for $2 speakers are you?

If you want to play around for cheap, you can try to build some flat surrounds out of cloth, but my advice is to buy some cheap speakers like the 3" Aurasound you can often get for ~$5 each.

well I was aiming to get new surrounds as there was 1 with intact surrounds and it sounded rather good (to my ears anyways) and the PE pioneeer tweeter woudln't really work as these things are actually mid woofers I guess (there's a seperate tweeter)...might give the cloth thingy a try...as for 3" drivers...I'll take a look and see what I can find around here in Singapore...thanks for all the tips so far guys...keep em coming~!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by li_gangyi
how would I actually go about doing that? (I mean making my own surrounds...) I assume u would nid a decent piece of cloth...(and wad type would be best really) and how sghould I cut it...thanks for all the help so far

A flat surround is by far the easiest... you can make it out of treated cloth (something fairly course -- very lightweight canvas for instance (hemp canvas would of course be best) -- even thin blue jean material, craft felt, or thin leather or chamois. If you want to make a half-roll surround or an accordian surround, you'll need to make a jig where you can shape the cloth while your treatment material cures.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.