Ranpant Scamming in today's world

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I realize scamming has been something to contend with since the dawn of human trading... But the level in today's world society - there should be a boy scout merit badge on the subject. Like "map reading".

Trying to sell certain things of ebay, it seems like the only people interested are those willing to take a shot at getting it for free. Always presents as your dream-buyer; "I'll pay you to have it professionally packed at the UPS store" - then - "oh, and I'll need you to send the amp directly to my repairman's shop..." When you refuse to do so as a matter of policy, the interest goes completely dead. Gee - wonder what that means...

I just read TubeCAD's trouble with someone - using an automated process - trying to vet credit card numbers on his Yahoo store. Looks like going into business on line with convenient payments invites the hoards...

My kid's piano teacher got scammed out of the cost of airline tickets she wanted to get a refund for, due to change in travel plans (corona virus). Root cause? She looked up the airline's ticket refund "how to" using Google, instead of going directly to the airline website -

Avoiding becoming a scam victim is an actual skill these days, where at the very least you better have some common sense and be able to apply it at each and every step of the way. Certainly a viable subject for further education!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.