• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Question about a power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

I am going to build a tubelab se with 300b's and either the trancendar 5k opts or the big Edcors at 5k. I already have the Transcendars and they are 5k, but I may opt for the Edcors and to keep things simple those will be 5k too. I think i read that you can use 5k and raise the voltage.

I was hoping to use an old Chicago transformer I salvaged at 375-0-375 and wanted to use a clclc filter. I was working something out in PSUDII with 3uf first cap followed by an 8h 125, 100uf, 8h125, 100uf cap. That ends up giving me about 396v in the program.

Before I go on, I wanted to make sure I have this right. Is there a better voltage rating I should be going for? The transformer has 5 and 6.3 taps with enough amps for the heaters, so I can just bypass the b+ to where the r30 resistor would be. Is that correct?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi all.

I am going to build a tubelab se with 300b's and either the trancendar 5k opts or the big Edcors at 5k. I already have the Transcendars and they are 5k, but I may opt for the Edcors and to keep things simple those will be 5k too. I think i read that you can use 5k and raise the voltage.

I was hoping to use an old Chicago transformer I salvaged at 375-0-375 and wanted to use a clclc filter. I was working something out in PSUDII with 3uf first cap followed by an 8h 125, 100uf, 8h125, 100uf cap. That ends up giving me about 396v in the program.

Before I go on, I wanted to make sure I have this right. Is there a better voltage rating I should be going for? The transformer has 5 and 6.3 taps with enough amps for the heaters, so I can just bypass the b+ to where the r30 resistor would be. Is that correct?

Thanks for any advice.
Hello,
That 375-0-375 transformer has pretty high voltage. Make sure the capacitors are rated for that 530 DC Volts that bad boy will supply. Until the heaters are hot and current is flowing the full 530 B+ volts may be at the plate of your tubes.
DT
All just for fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.