Proud new owner of 4ch LM3875

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
YAY!

It's finished :D

It sounds quite amazing. :) Very smooth and detailed. I ran it in with some old speakers I made but it has graduated to my proper speakers now, I can't stop listening to it, it keeps making me grin because it sounds so good.

I know this won't be very interesting to everyone because it's very basic stuff but I'm chuffed to bits.

I have used 2 dual mono kits and a shielded 500VA transformer, it's in a 2U 19" rackmount case which while not a pretty thing, works fine and it wasn't too tricky to assemble because there is loads of space.

I have shielded all the mains power cables with knitted copper wire tubing, I don't know if it helps cut down on EMF but is certainly won't hurt. I used socket 7 processor heatsinks because I had loads spare for old types of processors at work which I'll never need to use.

So far I have only grounded the CHG from the boards so there is a very slight hum if I put my head right next to the woofer. I'm reading up on grounding now. :) This is very useful actually Linky

I have started building the capacitor and snubber section of the snubberised PSU from the Db dungeon site - one of CarlosFM's designs. 1 board is done, 3 more to go. I'll pop them between the power and amp boards and see what sort of difference they make.

I'm dedicating the amp to the 6 diodes and 1 capacitor which paid the ultimate price in the construction because I mixed up the + ground and - ground wires.

Thanks for your help in answering my questions in the other threads, much appreciated. :)

Here is a pic I took on my phone when I had done the first 2 channels.

Attachments

• picture(23s).jpg
    picture(23s).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 440
Good job :) . I just finished building my first hi-fi amp and speakers the other day. I used a Brian GT LM3875 kit w/ a snubberized PSU. Mine has been running 24 hours a day since this weekend when I finished construction of the lot. I wonder in every few hours to sit and listen at the new goodies.

There's a certain sense of satisfaction one gets from appreciating something that they put together on their own.

Do you have any pics of the final product?

Thank you :) Congrats to you on your new amp and speakers too :)

Yes, I agree, it's the satisfaction from building kit that makes it special.

I have got so much more out of building speakers and sub boxes for the cars than I put in. I may have a go at some other things when I have finished adding bits to this amp. Maybe a DAC.

I haven't got any decent pictures, just a few on my phone which isn't a very good camera. I want to set a small perpex window in the front panel and maybe etch "gainclone" in it, I also need to mount LEDs from the power boards in the front panel so I'll wait until it's finished before taking any pictures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.