• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Projector 6V6 Tube Amp rats nest p2p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a point to point rats nest 6v6 tube amp that was pulled from an RCA projector that has incredible tone! I have had people freak out over the guitar tone this thing has especially when it is turned up. There are tubes powered and I dont think there is any way they are all being used for the amps sound. I have read some of the tubes were used for different functions in the RCA PJ.

I have built tons of stompboxes and DiY amplifiers before so I am no stranger to getting my hands dirty and testing things. Where would I start at to find out what is essential and what isn't?

I have a buncha pics I took in case someone was familiar with the PJ amp that I have and might know some info on it off the top of their head.

that speaker is amazing sounding.

rest of pics at Index of /misc/6v6

any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 239
That's not a rat's nest; that's how everything was built back then. Notice every solder joint has a dot of red paint which indicates it has been inspected.

Your pictures are so big I can't get a perspective. What is the tube complement? And what is your question?

That's not a rat's nest; that's how everything was built back then. Notice every solder joint has a dot of red paint which indicates it has been inspected.

Your pictures are so big I can't get a perspective. What is the tube complement? And what is your question?

LOL i wasn't calling it a rats nest thats just what they used to call the older style of point to point.

I am trying to find out which tubes are being used etc. Basically find out what makes the thing sound sooooo good. the tubes are 1 5Y3GT, 3 6v6GT, 1 6SL7GT, 6J5, and 1 6J7

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
LOL i wasn't calling it a rats nest thats just what they used to call the older style of point to point.

I am trying to find out which tubes are being used etc. Basically find out what makes the thing sound sooooo good. the tubes are 1 5Y3GT, 3 6v6GT, 1 6SL7GT, 6J5, and 1 6J7

The only way you'll know is to find or create a schematic. Start tracing those wires.

..Todd

You can always pull the tubes ... one at a time ... and see what happens.
It should be easy to see if all three 6V6 tubes are in parallel. It's possible that one of the tubes is a voltage regulator or, perhaps, connected to the exciter lamp if the projector used optical sound.
I love these old amplifiers. Many of them did a spectacular job.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.