Preamp for Pass X-250.5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have purchased a Pass Labs X250.5 and I am looking for a preamp of commensurate ability. I don't need a phono input as I built a Pass Pearl II which handles that effort nicely.

Is there a DIY preamp that would be a favorable match for the X250.5? I am considering an XP-12.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Plenty to choose from.

I build F4 and just for fun I was testing many different preamps with it, like BA3FA, JC-2, Goldmund clones, Wayne's line stage, some tube preamps, some commercial preamps like ps audio, sanyo plus...lots of fun, little confusing, a lot time consuming, matter of taste in the end, no such thing as best.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Do not hang up on my word 'best'. Replace with 'favorable match' and test some preamps. Only you can hear if the preamp is favorable match or not. The sound of the system is combination of signal source, electronics, speakers and room acoustics. For someone sweet sounding tube preamp is right match, for someone else neutral transparent solid state preamp may be right match, depending on the speakers and room...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wayne's line stage as first candidate ; SE , though making it Bal is trivial task , so ........ well - it is Wayne's , no further comment needed , except info that Wayne is Full Nelson , or Wizard's Apprentice , in case you don't know that

BA3 FE , not necessary second candidate , some like it ; I don't like it in line stage duty , finding it constipated when doing low level and low gain duty

wait to see what Pa will present on this year's BAFF - headamp and line stage , supposedly mini J2

besides that , I'm biased, heavily - Iron Pumpkin (either SE or Bal) , as Demonstration of Force ....... or ZM acting as Brave Mickey The Tailor :clown:

I certainly forgot some other possible candidates , but these are closest to my affinity

in short - there are many choices , and only your courage and wallet are there to put a sane limit

Wayne's line stage as first candidate ; SE , though making it Bal is trivial task , so ........ well - it is Wayne's , no further comment needed , except info that Wayne is Full Nelson , or Wizard's Apprentice , in case you don't know that

Actually I do. I have a Pass Pearl II which is Wayne's handiwork. That is what prompted this question. :)

And I ask here to find people that are familiar with Pass, Wayne and DIY.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, perhaps something wonderful and germane to my situation will be presented at BA. I was hoping to come this year but work is interfering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.