• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Preamp, Euridice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After reading CLS Euridice thread I remembered my "to be" Euridice, since I never came to add the OT. In this case the tube is a 417A and is absoutly quiet and sounds realy good in it's present resistor loaded incarnation at 18 mA.

But the questions has do do with the attenuators or vol control. Originally I had a Greyhill switch and could control the gain quite easily but they were non shorting type and was almost imposible to use.

I had at hand one 100K black beauty from Alps so decided to change the switches by this one.

The problem now is that I have to much gain and have to use it very near ground and was wonderig which would be the best way to lower the overall gain of the preamp.

Loading more the tube wont get me there and I think the operating point is fine as it is.

Would shunting the input signal with a resistor be a good idea?

analog_sa said:

I wouldn't recommend anything less than Lundahl .....

Whew, I passed, barely:D

Anyway I'm very happy with my LL1660 & Raytheon 5842. They sound very clean to my ears. (Maybe I'll try 6C45Pi/6S45PE in this pre amp or try other better transformers.... Pitty that the pin positions of these tubes are not directly replaceable)

I always adore the simplicity of such design.

However, I also begin to think the possibilities to build some Aikido or GG circuits & wonder how they compare....

I think there must be someone here has built them all. Can anyone share some experiences?

:smash:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
CLS said:

Whew, I passed, barely:D

Anyway I'm very happy with my LL1660 & Raytheon 5842. They sound very clean to my ears. (Maybe I'll try 6C45Pi/6S45PE in this pre amp or try other better transformers.... Pitty that the pin positions of these tubes are not directly replaceable)

I always adore the simplicity of such design.

However, I also begin to think the possibilities to build some Aikido or GG circuits & wonder how they compare....

I think there must be someone here has built them all. Can anyone share some experiences?

:smash:

my experience is that WOT stage is best in energy preservation ,and liimiting factor is only quality of used xformer.
hehe-often "energy preservation" is disguised with words like "microdinamics" , "nuances" , "microdetails" and other audiophile mumbojumbo......

:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.