Power Supply to Power Sound System - Indoor Show

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,

Hope every body is doing well. I have a question concerning powering my show truck sound system when at an indoor show. I have 10 amps ranging from 350 watts to 1000 watts for a total of aprox 9000 watts.

When I'm running the truck and check my amperage draw at each battery and it's not much at all......less than 80 amps..... at low volume is very low. Everyone is telling me that I'm going to need a few 100 amp power supply's..... including the techs at kicker.

You guys have any input on this for me?

Thanks
Cooop

Hey Guys,

Hope every body is doing well. I have a question concerning powering my show truck sound system when at an indoor show. I have 10 amps ranging from 350 watts to 1000 watts for a total of aprox 9000 watts.

When I'm running the truck and check my amperage draw at each battery and it's not much at all......less than 80 amps..... at low volume is very low. Everyone is telling me that I'm going to need a few 100 amp power supply's..... including the techs at kicker.

Thanks
Cooop

You are describing batteries, presume this is car or truck types and
you make no mention of inverters for converting battery DC to AC voltage.
Also very little description of the amplifiers,

Batteries are very high amperage devices, but relatively low voltage
power sources. A bit more information about your amplifiers and if
you are using inverters would help.

But a typical car battery is rated at 100 amp in one hour at 12 volt.
A truck battery will be much larger. Assisting the battery is your
truck alternator charging system, that is topping up the battery as
current is being drawn. A second battery wired in parallel would
provide more reserve for the event, as well as having your truck
running to charge. The charging system note is not doubling, but
if lights are off on the truck it should charge 2 batteries in parallel.

As with anything like this, test it first. You are on the right track
checking amperage being drawn.

Cheers / Chris

Hey Guys,

Thanks
Cooop

Question: Will you have the truck at the show, just you can't turn engine on, or you will have to leave the truch and operate the sound system without batteries, from PSU?

What kind of batteries do you have? I guess 24V...

If you can use the batteries, then batteries will help to produce high power peaks (theoretically up to 18 kW), and the PSU will refill the batteries between peaks, with the 80 A of average current. If you don't have batteries, then almost all power have to come from PSU, this means you really have to buy a few 100 A PSU. But if you also have ulracapacitor banks, then you may save on power supplies, since ultracapacitors can provide very high current for short time. 4 of these can be enough:
BMOD0058 E016 B02 MAXWELL TECHNOLOGIES - Kondenzátor: elektrolit | TME Hungary Kft. - Elektronikai alkatrészek

Be careful with high current equipment, and consult with a safety expert about electric shock protection! The revision must include every equipment electrically connected to your system!

You are describing batteries, presume this is car or truck types and you make no mention of inverters for converting battery DC to AC voltage.
Also very little description of the amplifiers,

Thanks for your reply Chris. The system is in my truck and I have 4 battery's Kenetix Power Cells. I don't have any inverters.... this is a truck audio system that runs on the 12 volt system.

Batteries are very high amperage devices, but relatively low voltage
power sources. A bit more information about your amplifiers and if
you are using inverters would help.

The amps are kicker zx models some 350.4 and some 750.2

But a typical car battery is rated at 100 amp in one hour at 12 volt.
A truck battery will be much larger. Assisting the battery is your
truck alternator charging system, that is topping up the battery as
current is being drawn. A second battery wired in parallel would
provide more reserve for the event, as well as having your truck
running to charge. The charging system note is not doubling, but
if lights are off on the truck it should charge 2 batteries in parallel.

Like I mentioned I have 4 batterys. The truck.... show truck is sometimes displayed in an indoor show.... no running of the truck allowed. Sometimes the battery's have to be disconnected per the fire marshall. When running I'm fine. I have a 250 amp alternator

As with anything like this, test it first. You are on the right track
checking amperage being drawn.

When I checked my amp draw....the truck was running with the alt assiting the load. Maybe that's why the draw was less? Maybe I have to play the system with the truck off to measure the correct load?

Cheers / Chris

Question: Will you have the truck at the show, just you can't turn engine on, or you will have to leave the truch and operate the sound system without batteries, from PSU?

System is installed in the truck!

What kind of batteries do you have? I guess 24V...

No 12 volt this side of the pond :eek:)

If you can use the batteries, then batteries will help to produce high power peaks (theoretically up to 18 kW), and the PSU will refill the batteries between peaks, with the 80 A of average current. If you don't have batteries, then almost all power have to come from PSU, this means you really have to buy a few 100 A PSU. But if you also have ulracapacitor banks, then you may save on power supplies, since ultracapacitors can provide very high current for short time. 4 of these can be enough:
BMOD0058 E016 B02 MAXWELL TECHNOLOGIES - Kondenzátor: elektrolit | TME Hungary Kft. - Elektronikai alkatrészek

I've never seen these before....have to research them.
But yes....I'm running 4 large audio system batterys

Be careful with high current equipment, and consult with a safety expert about electric shock protection! The revision must include every equipment electrically connected to your system!

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.