Post successful plans you've built from here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PaladinWOL said:
I'd like the people who have successfully built decent DIY projectors to post their plans/layouts here for everyone to get a decent idea in a picture form of how things should be.

You dont need a set of Plans to build a successful PJ... you need only learn how video projection works. Thats what I did. Learn the theory... then design your own plans.

Re: Re: Post successful plans you've built from here

Luca Brazzi said:
You dont need a set of Plans to build a successful PJ... you need only learn how video projection works. Thats what I did. Learn the theory... then design your own plans.

Where can newbs like us learn all the theory and general application of the theory? Can you direct us to some good information sources?

Re: Re: Re: Post successful plans you've built from here

mikeski52 said:

Where can newbs like us learn all the theory and general application of the theory? Can you direct us to some good information sources?

Well there is this forum... then the Free forum on Lumenlab.com is good, then there is diyprojectorcompany which is good for some theory but its mainly a website focused on their DIYPCs designs which tend to be different than many others.

I would start by deciding what Imaging system I wanted to use...

OHP LCD Panel? If so what size...

Stripped LCD Monitor? If so what size...

Then... What Lighting System? Homemade DIY Light engine? Overhead Projector?

Then... go from there, and only focus on those projects that use the elements you choose...

My PJ uses a 15" stripped BenQ 567 LCD Monitor, so I focused on PJs that used this LCD....

If I want to create my own enclosure instead of using an OHP, is there anyting special I need to learn about the optics theory and math behind using my own fresnel and light and such? I know for instance that there's a specific distance the bulb has to be from the fresnel to get the maximum amount of light.

mikeski52 said:
If I want to create my own enclosure instead of using an OHP, is there anyting special I need to learn about the optics theory and math behind using my own fresnel and light and such? I know for instance that there's a specific distance the bulb has to be from the fresnel to get the maximum amount of light.

I would suggest that on your first go round you do a 15" Strippable LCD Monitor Design...

Because the design of the rest of the PJ is less critical for a 15" LCD. All you have to do is make sure everything is lined up, electrically sound, and wired properly.

And

All you need is a good light source... the right fresnels, and a good projection lens... all of these can be found at Lumenlab

and NO... I am not a spokesman for their site.

You will enounter confusion if you start looking at other designs... (lilliput/Hami/17" LCD/OHP LCD Panel/PSOne/etc)

Its really simple....

15" Strippable LCD Monitor (BenQ 567 or even a 15.4" Proview from Staples)... the Standard Lens Kit from Lumenlab, the 400 watt light source from Lumen Lab or DIYPC or the 250 watt light source from DIYPC. Id reccomend an IR mirror from DIYPC to reflect back heat... some PC fans... a Reflector from IKEA (IKEA SOARE Napkin Holder) and off you go!

Now... the DIY part comes in when its time for you to Fabricate your parts for the PJ.... Thats the only thing a PLAN might tell you....

Thats the really difficult part.... how to fabricate the enclosure.... What do you build first? A Box? Frames to hold the Fresnels? The Light Engine?

But believe me...even if you make a mistake or two... in the end you will feel good knowing that you DID IT YOURSELF!

Just my Humble Opinion.... I could be wrong

excellant summary

Well said, Luca!

Or to put it another way:

"Plans? We don't need no stinkin' plans!"

One more thing I would recommend: When you do get your parts, try them together on a table top with a temporary framework. Not so flimsy that it falls down and breaks something, but still easy to adjust the distances. Put on some good UV blocking sunglasses (or a welder's mask) and power it up. Then you can try adjusting the lamp to fresnel distances and LCD to lens distance until you get a decent projected image. Build your enclosure to fit the parts at those distances, with a bit of room for fine adjustment. That way you will avoid some nasty surprises and "Frankenstein monster" enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.