Portable LOUD, LONG LASTING radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking to build a portable radio for work that has to be battery powered as we are unable to use radios that plug in.

The catch is it has to be loud enough to be heard from a decent distance over the many loud noises of a factory. Also it has to be able to maintain that volume for a 10+ hour shift.

I was looking to use a couple of amps from 41hz and a 12v battery. The BOOMINATER (sp?) looks good but I'm looking for something on wheels ideally due to the fast I'd have to take it home everyday and park a fair distance from the building.

Suggest me some parts!

Last edited:
I think you need to do some sound level checks and some math. What is a decent distance??? how loud are the loud noises.. How many other boominator style music systems are in use...Health and saftey issues too maybe . And last dont forget wheels they are a great invention. Good for carrying weight over distance with little effort.. Facts are needed

I think you need to do some sound level checks and some math. What is a decent distance??? how loud are the loud noises.. How many other boominator style music systems are in use...Health and saftey issues too maybe . And last dont forget wheels they are a great invention. Good for carrying weight over distance with little effort.. Facts are needed

Distance is an average of 20ft, no more than 30ft tops.

Loud noises are variable but I'd saw if I could get music loud enough to hear over a table saw, angle grinder or air compressor I'd probable be more then fine.

There aren't any other music systems in my immediate area but I do end up working in other areas quite often. The biggest radio I've seen is a shelf stereo in the places where wall outlets are accessible and the bosses don't care if you use them.

I have your exact same problem, and have built a portable amplifier, fed with a 12V Alarm Battery, 2 x TDA2003 chipamps, and a single "roof type background music" 6" speaker, which sounds surprisingly well.
It has 2 power levels: "Low" is the speaker straight to 1 TDA2003 , about 4W RMS, much louder than a table top radio and about the same as a good TV; and "High", with both amps bridged (16W RMS) which is Party Loud.
I feed my MP3 player into it.
My Carpentry room is about 14 x 20 Ft and in any setting (even Low) it's loud enough to be heard over the table saw noise, the disk sander or the compressor.
Can't beat the Router, both because of the piercing whine and because it's usually held at chest level, and anyway I wear ear protection with it, but it's relatively a short music less time.
You can't always win :(

Looking to build a portable radio for work that has to be battery powered as we are unable to use radios that plug in.

The catch is it has to be loud enough to be heard from a decent distance over the many loud noises of a factory. Also it has to be able to maintain that volume for a 10+ hour shift.

I was looking to use a couple of amps from 41hz and a 12v battery. The BOOMINATER (sp?) looks good but I'm looking for something on wheels ideally due to the fast I'd have to take it home everyday and park a fair distance from the building.

Suggest me some parts!

It's Boominator. Just put wheels or trolley handle with integrated wheels on it. Check http://www.facebook.com/theboominator for inspiration.

Alternatively, if smaller size is needed then check the Boominator MINI. Boominator MINI (development thread) - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

Last edited:
It's Boominator. Just put wheels or trolley handle with integrated wheels on it. Check http://www.facebook.com/theboominator for inspiration.

Alternatively, if smaller size is needed then check the Boominator MINI. Boominator MINI (development thread) - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

I have been looking through the Boominator thread for a while now and just stumbled upon the MINI thread recently. My only problem is I don't think the bipole design would go over very well with the people that work behind me.

I have been looking through the Boominator thread for a while now and just stumbled upon the MINI thread recently. My only problem is I don't think the bipole design would go over very well with the people that work behind me.

Speakers are not directional. The output behind a normal speaker is not lower than in front of it. It is just frequency dependent, ie. decreasing output at increasing frequencies. A bipole just modifies that to get linear output in both directions. It is in fact less obtrusive than the output of a regular speaker "behind" the speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.