PLLXO - Am I doing this right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Old thread but it seemed better to add here than start a new one. Using the PLLXO calc spreadsheet to do a 2nd order high pass filter at 120Hz into 62k amp impedance here is what I get(screenshot attached).

R1 = 6.2k
R2 = 62k
C1 = 235nf

However I am unsure on the value for C2, is it 42nf or 21nf with Ramp as R2? Looks like 21nf with just Ramp but don't see C2 called out specifically on that row.

Attachments

• pllxo_62k_120hz.png
    pllxo_62k_120hz.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 129

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It appears to be:
preamp
235nF series
6.2k shunt
43nF series
62k shunt (amplifier Zin)

However this sims as -4dB @120Hz. And you would expect a 10-fold relation between caps. (Making the first cap 430n gives -3dB @ 100Hz.)

Attachments

• spiggs-42.gif
    spiggs-42.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 125
There is no question that a PLLXO has significant limitations, but if one designs the speaker appropriately they work very well.

dave

Not sure if that reply was for me. I am using the spreadsheet to calculate a 2nd order PLLXO using Ramp as the total value for R2. Goal is to rolloff a fullrange speaker to integrate with a sub at 120Hz. Just was not sure how to read the spreadsheet to get the value of C2 for R2 = Ramp.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> 2nd order PLLXOs are kinda droppy, what PRR may have been commenting on, i tend to avoid them.

It's not the sharpest knife in the tool-box.

Sometimes you want a rubber hammer to ease the edge of something. And sometimes you need a finely honed razor. If your Six will "handle" 80Hz, but your Fifteen handles it better, then a gentle slope-down from 120Hz may be all you need. If you are feeding the system a thousand watts, the Six will be in distress if you don't SHARP-filter below 120Hz so it won't slap itself (and your ears) crazy. But sharp filters are rapid phase-shifts and need precision fitting between low and high. Gentle 1/2-order filters are kinder and forgiving, as long as the speakers are not strained (or honking) several octaves past crossover.

Yes, 4" mains supplemented by a 12" sub. I have a 1st order PLLXO now at 120Hz before an ACA for the FF105WKs. Going to build a different amp with higher input impedance so I thought I would try a 2nd order PLLXO to see how it works, ideally I wanted to combine that with a BSC at line level if possible. It's a move from 8 watts to 27 watts so nothing crazy and even with 8 watts I don't lack for volume.

Ultimately this is DIY so I guess I might as well have fun and spend the $10 to try both a 1st and 2nd order PLLXO along with a BSC. Still curious how to read that spreadsheet. If the calculated value for C2 is 43nf when using Ramp as R2 then what is the row labeled "Use Ramp as R2 in HP" with a value of 21nf telling me?

Attachments

• PLLXO_calc_Ramp.png
    PLLXO_calc_Ramp.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 91
I am interested in what is considered "low" for amp input impedance? I am looking at building a PLLXO between an oppo BDP-105 (50 ohm output) and one of my Bryston 4Bs (33k input on balanced XLR). 33k seems a bit low to me, but I am only interested in a 1st order slope so I might be OK here? Would like to roll the mains off around 150Hz @6db/oct.

Also, curious how many folks have done this on balanced inputs? I am assuming here that I will effectively get the average of the 2 slopes, given undoubted variations in the capacitance?

Thanks

I keep going back and forth between PLLXO and a simple/clean active XO. That Xkitz piece mentioned above looks not too bad, but I hate to put any op amps in the path if I can get away with just passive components. argh, the decisions...

Might end up building up 2 test kits, one passive and one active and just AB them.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.