Pics of my diy proac 2.5 "clones"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I just thought I post some pics of my recently finished proac 2.5 “clones”.
They have now been playing for about a month. The sound is everything I expected it to be. I used the crossover from the diy proac site (http://www.geocities.com/diyproac25) with the suggested modifications. Can't say I can notice any 2khz peek.
 

Attachments

  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 3,684
Very interested and ...

Kermit,

Great looking speakers. Nice job!

I'm also interested & wanting to build this speaker for my next project. Couple of general questions for now - in no particular order.

1. How much does it cost? Typical cost and nothing exotic in parts and in USD?
2. How is the bass? Is it great, good or just so-so?
3. In terms of bass, does this speaker work well in small or large room?
4. Does this speaker need a lot of room to breath?
5. What prevented you from building 3 or 3.8? Is it due to cost? Complexicity? Or both?
6. Is information readily available on the web and especially on diyaudio.com?
7. I have some ideas (from BrianGT) of the tools needed to built speakers. Did you have to get a lot of tools to built yours?

Thanks.

And how about some internal pictures?
 
Fcel,
First things first:
Cost: in NOK Im gussing I spent about 6-7000 witch is about 1000 USD. But generally speaking most tings is more expensive in Norway. I didn’t use any fancy part, Solen caps and air core inductors.
Bass: I’d say is as good as it gets from a 7”
Room size: I have only tried it in my living room, witch is rater big. I think someone mentioned that it plays best in big rooms. Not to sure.
I chose 2.5 because it is so well documented and many others have built it with good result. Try the link in my first post. Also search this forum and http://www.madisound.com You will find tons of info.
Tools: I bought the mdf precut, so I only needed a router, witch my girlfriend bought for my birthday :). Get one If you don’t already have one (goes for both router and girlfriend ;))

The last picture I have is before the tree coats of lacquer. Sorry, I don’t have a digital camera, and these are the only pics I got.
 

Attachments

  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 3,379
Thanks alphaGeek, François, UrSv and Fcel.
The veneer is birch. I got it locally, at first it was a pain to get it, not many sell veneer over her. Then someone at a norwegian forum mentioned a veneering factory in oslo, and it turned out to be only “a pitch of a stone” from where I live. So I went there and picked it out myself, got a really good deal, only 150 NOK (20$) for 4 sheets of 2400mm * 500mm. I got plenty of leftovers for other projects. :)
 
Kermit,

Really great looking speakers you have made. I really like the idea about the binding posts! Perhaps I will use that idea when I get around to building a pair myself. I am in the planing proces at the moment and have been there for a while now, but sooner or later I will get around to building them.....I hope.

Also one question: Where did you get the 50mm polyester (Dacron 200g/m2) lining and is it called in Norway?

Seve
 
bbaker6212,
I made the aluminum plates myself. They are 1,5 mm thick 110mm * 125mm big. I wet sanded them with 320 grit paper and applied 3 layers of clear acrylic lacquer.

Gaber,
I haven’t tried moving them around too much. They are heavy, and the spikes tear up the floor. For now I got them about 50 cm from the back wall. That’s as far out as swmbo will allow me to have them.
 
Me too!!!

Hi,

Me and UrSv have finished our projects as well. Urban is still waiting for his luxuary filter parts, though he is on vacation for a couple of days now, and cannot build anything for the moment anyways.

Here is one picture of our speakers:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.


Here is another picture:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.


You can look at our whole project at:

http://www.skip.informatik.gu.se/~kmg/diyaudio/projects/proac2.5/

We tried to document everything as much as we could.

Best,
//magnus
 
Ratings

18W/8535-00

Characteristic sensitivity (2.83V / 1m) : 86.5 dB
Recommended frequency range : 26 - 3500 Hz
Free air resonance frequency, fs : 26 Hz
DC resistance, Re : 5.8 ohm
Voice coil inductance, Le : 0.3 mH
Effective piston area, Sd : 145 cm²
Moving mass incl. air, md : 15.5 g
Mechanical loss, Rm : 1.0 Ns/m
Force factor, BL : 5.7 Tm
Equivalent volume, Vas : 72 ltr.
Mechanical Q-factor, Qms : 2.5
Electrical Q-factor, Qes : 0.45
Total Q-factor, Qts : 0.38
Excursion, lin./max. : ±5.0 / ±10 mm
Voice coil diameter : 38 mm
Rated power handling : 70 W
Net weight : 1.8 kg


D2010/851300

Characteristic sensitivity (2.83V / 1m) : 90 dB
Recommended frequency range : 4 - 20 kHz
Free air resonance frequency, fs : 800 Hz
DC resistance, Re : 5.7 ohm
Voice coil inductance, Le : 0.07 mH
Effective piston area, Sd : 3.8 cm²
Moving mass incl. air, md : 0.25 g
Force factor, BL : 2.4 Tm
Excursion, lin./max. : ±0.7 / ±1.2 mm
Voice coil diameter : 19 mm
Rated power handling : 150 W (12 dB/oct.
cross-over at 4 kHz)
Net weight : 0.4 kg


//magnus
 
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.