Philips AD12100/M8 solution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just bought a pair of Philips AD12100/M8 en i already love them. For now they are sitting nicely in a OB. But in my search on internet i found a cabinet for this driver... the "monitor 12".

Does anybody has a plan for this cabinet or another good idea for the OB solution for example a combination with a AD12100/W8....in that case a solution for the filter would be nice.

oh yes a picture of this "monitor 12" cabinet.

Attachments

• monitor 12.jpg
    monitor 12.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,101
Ah this advert has dimensions in it! Thanks. I can sort of work it out from there.
I have the 9710/m8 in a voight pipe and tweeter added, this sounds wondfull and is the kick start for more Philips drivers/cabinets.

I assume these are the external dimensions, subtracting 38mm on each measure should get you close IMO. Looks like ~80L internal gross volume.

If the large duct vent is simply what it seems to be, I think it might tune fairly high. Might be good for sensitivity, but bass response will possibly suffer. This can be experimented upon in any case.

IG

Thanks for this internal shot! If you can find out or approximate the duct's dimensions, it will then be easy to calculate or simulate what tuning frequency will result and if it is to your taste. If you want a lower tuning, reducing the vent cross-section area will do this. Still, I'm inclined to think that Philips knew what they were doing. I once built the recommended reflex for the 9710 and it was alright, but I'm pretty sure a big TQWT or Voigt is better.

IG

well after a bit of a struggle i managed to make a PDF of my drawing...
as you said it is 83,9 liters

Could you look at it and maybe tell me how this box is tuned?

That would be great!

the number that go with the driver (in french)

Modèle : AD12100 M8
Type : double cône, suspension petits plis, aimant ferrite
Puissance nominale : 25 W
Puissance maxi : 40 W
Bande passante : 40 – 15 kHz
Fréquence de résonance : 36 Hz
QMS : 2,763
QES : 0,558
QTS : 0,464
VAS : 193,3 l
Mms : 31,6 g
Rendement : 93 dB
Impédance : 8 Ohms
Diamètre bobine : 50 mm
Diamètre ferrite : 133 mm
Diamètre : 314,5 mm
Profondeur du HP : 151,4 mm
Ouverture Baffle : 278 mm
Volume conseillé : 80 L
Entre axe diagonal : 294 m
Poids : 3,2 kg l'unité

Attachments

• monitor 121.pdf
    82.5 KB · Views: 947
Looks like the vent geometry will tune a ~83L box around 65Hz. Simulating with the above T/S parameters does not look good. Maybe the parameters are not right somewhere in that list? I know Philips built-in small midbass humps at times, but this is outright a peak, a large peak. A tuning aroud 30-35Hz produces a transfer function more similar to what I'm used to with Philips designs.

IG

Wauw! Thanks for your replies, although I don't understand it al I will take a good luck at it this afternoon.
It is actually quite annoying that I can't get my head around this math and numbers...it seems that I am more of ready made kit person. But I have the drivers and there is no way back now....

Again thanks guys!

Wauw! Thanks for your replies, although I don't understand it al I will take a good luck at it this afternoon.
It is actually quite annoying that I can't get my head around this math and numbers...it seems that I am more of ready made kit person. But I have the drivers and there is no way back now....

Again thanks guys!

Hi Xerxes,

You may already seen that the optimal volume for those Drivers are around 320L in a ported Box with maximally flat FR and low extension (~30 Hz).

But when starting using your Volume of ~ 84 L: An improvement would be to increase the Port length to ~46 cm where the maximal BW is reached... but still with an existing peak.

You can EQ this Peak as shown: Then a flat FR would reach down to f-3dB, about ~50 Hz. Comparing this performance with: If you close the Port instead: You would end up with an f-3dB about ~56.5Hz and a Qtc of ~0.8 so maybe this is a better option.

If you fill the center of the volume with damping Material ~200g and fill the open Port too, the Box changes into an Aperiodic System with an f-3dB=~80 Hz but this method is not as good as making a closed Box or increasing the Port length +EQ.

I think it would be much better to design a new pair of Boxes outlined like single folded TL's.

A TL would probably would use a few more liters and could easily have an smoother FR extension surpassing the before mentioned BR designs with a great SQ. In the early seventies I built quite a few using the AD12100-M4 driver that also sounded very good.

b:)

Last edited:
Mmmh this cabinet thing gives me a headache. So I will go for an OB solution. I want to place a tweeter, the Philips AD12100/m8 and a sub a philips AD12100/w8 (those I have to buy first..... This sub can be OB or in a closed box. And if I am well informed this closed box can be 60L.
Off course there must be some kind of filtering for the tweeter and sub and mabye for the FR.

On some Dutch forums there are a few people who had started a project with this drivers but none off them have finished it so no peaking there.

As design I really like the looks off the "quasar" OB. So now there is a direction and a lot off mabye's but it's a start!

If you want to run the AD12100/m8 alone and want the most bass out of it (and you don't want an extreme big cabinet) you would have to put it in a 80 liter ported cabinet tuned to 37hz. Then, in addition we add a 12db/oct highpass to the AD12100/M8. The high-pass will be C= 1000uf and L=22mh (approx 1,5ohm). The highpass wil give a broad bump between 45-65hz (see image for the electric response of the circuit).
This is the solution I might want to use for my AD12100/M8's

The best solution though would be to use a seperate 12" woofer like the AD12100/W8 or the successor the AD12200/W8.

Attachments

• AD12100M8 12dB high-pass electr response.jpg
    AD12100M8 12dB high-pass electr response.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 967
Last edited:
i have made a drawing of the cabinet with dimensions and found all the specs for the driver. Problem is that the drawing is in autocad but i can't convert it to PDF or something.

There are some online converters on the web, but if You don't want to use them for some reasons I recommend You to install PDFcreator (You have to be careful, as during the setup, process will try to install some unwanted software like toolbars or system tweakers). After installing that thing, You will be able to create PDFs using the print option as there will be a printer added called

yes!
PDFcreator! :)

I'm really looking forward for that drawing of Yours, as I'm going to build some cabinets for my speakers and I haven't seen like Yours ever before :)

Curiosity took over me!

well after a bit of a struggle i managed to make a PDF of my drawing...
as you said it is 83,9 liters

Could you look at it and maybe tell me how this box is tuned?

That would be great!

the number that go with the driver (in french)

Modèle : AD12100 M8
Type : double cône, suspension petits plis, aimant ferrite
Puissance nominale : 25 W
Puissance maxi : 40 W
Bande passante : 40 – 15 kHz
Fréquence de résonance : 36 Hz
QMS : 2,763
QES : 0,558
QTS : 0,464
VAS : 193,3 l
Mms : 31,6 g
Rendement : 93 dB
Impédance : 8 Ohms
Diamètre bobine : 50 mm
Diamètre ferrite : 133 mm
Diamètre : 314,5 mm
Profondeur du HP : 151,4 mm
Ouverture Baffle : 278 mm
Volume conseillé : 80 L
Entre axe diagonal : 294 m
Poids : 3,2 kg l'unité

I replied to the previous post and didn't see this one! very nice! thanks for the drawing!

Guys, so where is the real resonance frequency - like Philips says at 45Hz or 36Hz? I have AD 12100 M4 version and I'm trying to make a case for them, but I'm confused with the lack of realistic T-S parameters anywhere.

I tried few test cases, one 120 liter BR, one 60 liter BR, one 60 liter closed and still have no clue what to make finally. Any advices?

I've got the AD12100 M8 in a old box, but it's lacking bass as well.
Was thinking of getting rid them as I've too many unfinished projects lying around..

But I'm still tempted in trying the Monitor 12 design. How is that I see cravings on Vietnamese and Chili forums when you guys say it's will lack bass.

btw: I found another plan on which is a bit different from Xerxes75

If it's not the Monitor 12 what other designs are there?
@arjank how to tune to a port to 37hz? I just started and know little of the technical side of it. I just enjoy building and listening..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.