Perry or someone please explain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to set up a car amp for home use. I will link two photo's of the inside of the amp but heres what I found....36.5VAC on one leg of the output devices that goes to the driver card. One leg is 0.0V and the last leg is 35VAC that goes to the copper/ bronze color coils. would i have to put the power into the output devices into the leg's that the coils feed?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd146/mxracer592/DCP_3490.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd146/mxracer592/DCP_3489.jpg

That looks like a giant class D monoblock! At least what I can see of it.

The problem with some of the larger, newer monoblocks is multiple secondaries at the torridal(s) And if I were to prep that for home usage I would just buy a transformer that satisfies all secondary voltages, remove the torridal(s) and insert the secondaries of my transformer in place of the old torridal secondaries.

You should take some pictures that show the entire amp, the brand and model would be good too. And try and get a clear picture of the torridal secondaries where they enter the board so we can see if other rails are supplied there.

- Matt

WHOW WHOW WHOW !!! you have removed one of the class D amp filters ...
Put it back in...It filters out the the high frequency switching signal so it will not burn up your speaker...

Please re install that coil its part of the amp circuit, not the power supply... Sorry if I sound blunt I mean only to help you....:)

You can't simply connect a split DC supply to this amplifier to use it in your home.

If you look at the large power transformer on the left, you'll see it has 3 extra windings. These are used to generate voltage for the low voltage supply as well as the higher_than_rail drive voltage. The driver voltage circuit needs a high frequency square wave to produce the required output.

If you were going to use this in the home, the main rail voltage could be supplied by a LARGE power transformer. The regulated voltage could be supplied by a relatively small transformer. The driver voltage would require that you either drive a high frequency signal into the circuit or that you build a floating power supply and connect it to the driver circuit.

I have the 90 amp 13 volt version on my bench.

OOPPS My bad Perry is correct the model pictured is 7 amp I have the 90 amp 13 volt version on the same frame. But this will give you a idea of what your looking for in a power supply

Thanks Perry

Attachments

• dsc_2882.jpg
    dsc_2882.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 165
Perry Babin said:
You can't simply connect a split DC supply to this amplifier to use it in your home.

If you look at the large power transformer on the left, you'll see it has 3 extra windings. These are used to generate voltage for the low voltage supply as well as the higher_than_rail drive voltage. The driver voltage circuit needs a high frequency square wave to produce the required output.

If you were going to use this in the home, the main rail voltage could be supplied by a LARGE power transformer. The regulated voltage could be supplied by a relatively small transformer. The driver voltage would require that you either drive a high frequency signal into the circuit or that you build a floating power supply and connect it to the driver circuit.

Thats pretty much what I suggested. However it looks like all the low voltage is supplied downstream as opposed to more secondaries.from the picture I got I only see one set of secondaries. If that is the case the cheapest way would be to yank out both PS torridals and feed the proper AC transformer into the secondary via's. Everything downstream should take care of the rest. Would be nice to have a picture of the secondary side of those torridals to confirm.

One gigantic transformer would do and you would just need to share the outputs with both sets of secondary VIA's on the PCB as each set will have it's own pair of rectifiers. Bear in mind it's gonna be one BIG transformer! Could also split it up with two smaller transformers of identical spec. I wouldn't go less then 50 amps for each torridal you rip out myself. That puts you at a transformer with secondaries of 35vac and about 25 amps per tap with a center tap.

You sure you wanna do this? lol! When I was 14 I did this with an autotek BTS model, The BIGGEST one! It's worth a small fortune now. Have not seen it since I was 16. It was the white one model 2300 or 2600 I forget. Whatever the biggest model was. At the time I was a great little hacker so I was able to rig up the transformers. I had no idea how to fix the blown PS or I would have! Had no idea what it would be worth someday and sold it to some kid so he could run 10 speakers in his bedroom. The worst part is.. (and don't rear further if you loved ZED amps).. I took a hacksaw and CUT the PS section out up to the rectifiers! I'm feeling the shame now.. If I could only go back!

- Matt

Perry Babin said:
The secondary winding at the top would be the tricky one. Not really difficult and could be produced by a small dedicated transformer with an isolated secondary winding.

Yeah, thats what I was looking to see, but couldn't. How many schematics do you keep on file over there? :D

audiobahnkid592 said:
yeah i've decided its just not worth it

Atta boy! Put that thing back together and sell it. Start shopping for a low end but powerful commercial amp if you want tons of power for your home. Check out Ebay for a pyramid DJ amp. Lot's of power for not a lot of bucks. If your just going to use it to drive subs, why not? Can also pick up class D home sub amps cheap too now. Put your pennies towards purpose built stuff. If you need something for a home, buy something made for home :)

Of course there's nothing wrong with DIY spirit! But sometimes you gotta ask yourself if your doing it to meet a challenge, or if your doing it to save a few bucks. If your just looking to save a few bucks you gotta ask yourself if it's worth it in the end.

- Matt

audiobahnkid592 said:
yeah i've decided its just not worth it

well, you could use a sealed battery (so there will be no toxic fumes/chemicals in your room) and a float charger. then you're all set.

Perry Babin said:

Not as many as I'd like to have. I collect all that I can find. Sometimes I have to resort to making my own. That's no fun.

do you have one for the PPI PC2100 I'm fixing right now? if it isn't too much trouble. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.