Penny & Giles: Good or not for HiFi?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Arold19:

I had the pleasure of living with a Jeff Rowland Coherence One (Series II) preamplifier for almost 20 years. The Coherence One had a Penny & Giles attenuator and to my ears it was clean, grain-free and lovely. There are many great-sounding attenuators on the market, and P&G is one of them.

Regards,
Scott

Arold19:

I had the pleasure of living with a Jeff Rowland Coherence One (Series II) preamplifier for almost 20 years. The Coherence One had a Penny & Giles attenuator and to my ears it was clean, grain-free and lovely. There are many great-sounding attenuators on the market, and P&G is one of them.
Regards,
Scott

was it this model from the attached photos?
I think this attenuator was (no longer available) oil-filled version

Attachments

• Penny Giles inside by J.Roland Coherence.jpg
    Penny Giles inside by J.Roland Coherence.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,162
  • Penny Giles J.Roland top.jpg
    Penny Giles J.Roland top.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Penny Giles Coherence1-front.jpg
    Penny Giles Coherence1-front.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,129
P&G is just the most relieable pot on the market, but damned they are expensive.
My preamps through the last 25 years has been equipped with them, and there is still no scratching or any noise at all when turned. Just nothing.
This is simply state of the art quality, and the most unbeliveable is, that I can still order a new one of the same type.

Thumbs up for P&G

Reactions: 1 users
To be specific:
The Penny+Giles Rotary fader RF-15 was first used in the Mark Levinson ML-7 (there were some first models with the wirewound Spectrol pot like in the ML-1 though), the ML-6A. 7A and 6B the ML-10 and the No.26 andprobably the 26s.
JRDG uses one stereo for level and two mono´s for Balance in the Coherence One Series I & II.
I´m not sure about Krell in this matter. The KRC I had (the first incarnation) had a Airpax motorized one my Krell KRS-2 had the Spectrol wirewound which I substituted for a RF-15.

is this oil filled and sealed potentiometer a good replace for the not longer available oil filled version from Penny & Giles ?
Potentiometers: Oil Filled Rotary Potentiometer - Series OMCP30
http://www.p3america.com/pp/pdfs/omcp30.PDF
Penny & Giles itself don't offer unfortunately oil filled versions from the RF15 series about
http://www.penny-giles.de/Rotary-Fader-pd-115,3,,.php

A line-up of most potentiometers (rotary faders) you will find here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...nny-giles-tkd-vishay-more-whats-your-fav.html

And an offer (NOS device) is here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penny-Giles...meter-Audio-Taper-FREE-SHIPPING-/221130434795

Last edited:
is this oil filled and sealed potentiometer a good replace for the not longer available oil filled version from Penny & Giles ?
Potentiometers: Oil Filled Rotary Potentiometer - Series OMCP30
http://www.p3america.com/pp/pdfs/omcp30.PDF
Penny & Giles itself don't offer unfortunately oil filled versions from the RF15 series about
Multi-Channel Rotary Fader | Penny + Giles

Yep they're plastic conductive tapers just like the better Noble's, TKD 2CP's and Alps I believe. Do not now those oilfilled ones you quote but they seem to me as targeted for industrial applications but I believe that the Penny+Giles one was used for aviation purposes and so are most electronic parts in they use in audiogear of course:D
I never had issues with them and I prefered them above all other logarithmic volume solutions.

To be specific:
The Penny+Giles Rotary fader RF-15 was first used in the Mark Levinson ML-7 (there were some first models with the wirewound Spectrol pot like in the ML-1 though), the ML-6A. 7A and 6B the ML-10 and the No.26 andprobably the 26s.
JRDG uses one stereo for level and two mono´s for Balance in the Coherence One Series I & II.
I´m not sure about Krell in this matter. The KRC I had (the first incarnation) had a Airpax motorized one my Krell KRS-2 had the Spectrol wirewound which I substituted for a RF-15.

In the preamp model Aragon 18K you will find also a RF-15 version - have a look to the attachments:

Attachments

• Penny Giles RF15 NOS - AC & Dc Acoustics.jpg
    Penny Giles RF15 NOS - AC & Dc Acoustics.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 432
  • Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 VII .JPG
    Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 VII .JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 250
  • Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 VI.JPG
    Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 VI.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 250
  • Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 V .JPG
    Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 V .JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 783
  • Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 iV .JPG
    Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 iV .JPG
    86 KB · Views: 820
  • Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 III .JPG
    Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 III .JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 848
  • Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 II .JPG
    Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 II .JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 923
  • Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 .JPG
    Aragon 18K Penny & Giles RF15 .JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,040
In the preamp model Aragon 18K you will find also a RF-15 version - have a look to the attachments:

That's a surprise.
The Krell would have used it in its premium line even more I suppose.

Never liked the TKD's with there flimsy soldering lugs.
Just bought a Coherence One Series II so I'm back in P+G territory again with three of them lined up behind a faceplate.

Attachments

• MF MVX Preamp-III.jpg
    MF MVX Preamp-III.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 322
  • MF MVX preamp-II.jpg
    MF MVX preamp-II.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 291
  • MF MVX preamp.jpg
    MF MVX preamp.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 290
  • MF MVX Preamp-PS.jpg
    MF MVX Preamp-PS.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 275
  • MF MVX preamp Owner's.jpg
    MF MVX preamp Owner's.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Happy New Year

Hi John,

Happy New Year to you.

I'm still running a pair of Levinson ML-2's and I was wondering how much of your knowledge/intellect is there in those designs?
My Krell technician (former Goldmund engineer) prefers the ML-2's over the successors the No. 20 and 20.5. I never heard those latter ones so I can't concur.
Are the ML-2's mainly your brainchilds?

To tiefbassuebertr:

Congratulations with your nice MF preamp.
Did not know the English made such expensive gear.