Pc Speaker Construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm close to finishing a set of MTMs for my computer speakers. You will need an amplifier, a cheap way to get one is to buy a regular set of computer speakers and just cut off the puny speakers they come with, that way you get a sub output too. That's what I have right now and it gets fairly loud, and it's pretty hard to beat $70 for 2 channels + sub channel.

Of course you can buy a home audio amplifier or receiver, but they range from not-so-cheap to ridiculously expensive. Your speaker ohms will need to be matched to the amplifier. Some are ok with 4 ohms, others need 8 ohms.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Sonic Impact amp is perfect for this use and sounds REALLY good
Search for it because there are LOTS of threads. It is available online for about $30-$40 You have to get their wall transformer also for about $16 or rig up an appropriate one from your Drawer o' Wall Warts. It needs 12-13 volts DC and about 1-1.5 amps.

It puts more power into 4 ohms.

It has an input for a cord (included ) that hooks it to the audio from the comp.

I use the Sonic T-amp with a pair of Aurasound NS3 speakers.
http://www.timn8er.com/Aurasound NS3.htm
It sounds great. They don't play very loud due to the low sensitivity of the Aura's but I only sit a couple feet away so it's ok. A better setup IMO is a pair of WR125S or if you can wait a couple more weeks a pair of FR125S and the SI amp would make a killer system. You could skip the sub with those.
http://www.creativesound.ca/

fivaxis said:
That's what I have right now and it gets fairly loud, and it's pretty hard to beat $70 for 2 channels + sub channel.

Of course you can buy a home audio amplifier or receiver, but they range from not-so-cheap to ridiculously expensive. Your speaker ohms will need to be matched to the amplifier. Some are ok with 4 ohms, others need 8 ohms.

You can get an amp for far less than $70 that better than those computer amp I'm sure. Get a used one. Also people love to throw away those computer speakers. I have some now, somewhere, that I'd love to throw away. They are free at any computer/TV recycling place, if you know where one is. I would build or get a used amp to power computer speakers.

Also between 4 ohm and 8 ohm I suppose is good impedance for most amps, go closer to 8 ohm I guess. The output on most soundcards is stereo, it is usually a miniplug. Has left, right and ground.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.