Paper Tube enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My friend has made a small woofer ( 8" driver 20W) enclosure out of round paper tube. To my ears it was sounding perfectly. I tested the same with the mdf cabinet of same 8" driver. The volume was almost identical. Is it better or ok to make enclosures out of round paper tubes? More guidance required in the matter.
MP

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
palesha said:
My friend has made a small woofer ( 8" driver 20W) enclosure out of round paper tube. To my ears it was sounding perfectly. I tested the same with the mdf cabinet of same 8" driver. The volume was almost identical. Is it better or ok to make enclosures out of round paper tubes? More guidance required in the matter.

The geometry of a sonotube woofer box make them stiffer, and less resonant than an equivalent rectangular MDF box, which should result in better performance

dave

I tried a 4' length of concrete molding tube with a an old 12" triax as a front loaded horn firing straight up and was surprised at the amount of treble I was getting reflected off the ceiling. Tubes can surprise you. Also there is only one standing wave possible in a tube.

Formula for tube designs

Hi All,:)

I have done some tube design and was very pleased with it. I need to know the following.

There are two designs of tube enclosures.:att'n:

1) With the speaker mounted inside the tube somewhere at 1/3 the length, called boozaka design.

2) The other is at one end of the tube, called Sonsub design.

How do one calculate the frequency responce, gain, losses, eff., speaker Qts requirement etc...:confused:

Any web link would also be great.

Thanks in advance.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Mallick:

If you are using the tubes for either a sealed enclosure or ported enclosure, the same rules apply as to a rectanular enclosure of equal volume. This is assuming you are mounting the speaker at one end of the tube.

A four foot long tube with an 8 inch diameter will have the same volume as a four foot tall box with 8 inch sides, multiplied by .78.

Formula's for Tube Designs

You can find some infomation on tube designs and the response you can expact in my "Test Line" section on the TL theory page. The mathcad software, available on my site, will let you design a tube speaker assuming that the front of the driver radiates into the room and the back into the tube. The TL equations will be very accurate for this geometry and method of construction.

Martin
www.quarter-wave.com

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. :)

Hats of to you Martin J.King this is going to take some juice from my brains to correctly understand the concepts. Will keep you posted. :rolleyes:

And Nelson when is this El Pipe-O coming and what is in store for us. :bigeyes:

Now no one told me about the speaker in-between the tube, should I design it like the Band-pass?

Hi kelticwizard could you give me additional info.

Mallick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.