Paper-PCBs anyone?

fubar3

2011-10-25 3:56 am
Toronto
Has anyone tried a Paper-PCB for a simple audio projects - such as a headphone anp? Wolfgang Spahn has a nice web site where he designs these for Arduino clones. I don't have a workshop where I can mess with circuit- board chemicals but I want neater work than I usually produce with unplanned point-to-point wiring.

Agree and add.
What Wolfgang Spahn calls paperpcb is old-as-the-pyramids Veroboard or stripboard.
All he does is "hide" it by glueing the paper with the printed design over the top surface , to help you avoid mistakes.
Stripboard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's software to help you design the PCB, although gridded paper and pencil is enough.
Try Bancika's *excellent* DIY Layout creator:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/181962-new-version-diy-layout-creator.html
which handles stripboards (paperpcb), plain copperless perfboard and simple etched PCBs if you want to go all the way.
Note: there's various versions, from the early one running only on Windows, to later "multiplatform" (Windows/Linux/Mac/etc.) ones based on Java.
I strongly suggest you use the original Windows only version, because it's the simplest and also tons of guys have used it and post designs, so you can review quite a few to get layout ideas.
This is one such design:
[IMGDEAD]https://imagenes.es.sftcdn.net/es/scrn/73000/73352/diy-layout-creator-5.jpg[/IMGDEAD]

EXCELLENT software, perfect for DIYers.
Notice that if you print the PCB design and glue it to a piece of stripboard you have a "paperpcb" ;)

Last edited:
Has anyone tried a Paper-PCB for a simple audio projects - such as a headphone anp? Wolfgang Spahn has a nice web site where he designs these for Arduino clones. I don't have a workshop where I can mess with circuit- board chemicals but I want neater work than I usually produce with unplanned point-to-point wiring.

Does this count?
336455d1363460094-tpa3118d2-foam-core-amp4.jpg

Yes :), I just saw your other thread.
Cool technique and congratulations on your successful construction.
:)

Thanks! The best part was hearing the sound when I fired it up. This amp sounds really nice. It's small size fools you to thinking it's toy like. Nice big full rich bass and very clear open highs. :)
I am sold on smd methods and will learn how to design pcb's properly and have one of the fab houses in China make them cheap. I am good with soldering with magnifyers and tiny iron and will assemble them myself though.

I love wire wrap. That's where I got my tiny wires for my dead bug amp project. I have built many op amp circuits with wire wrap. Mostly discrete TTL logic stuff though. One thing I noticed that is really nice about smd - you never have to flip it over to solder and wonder if you have the right pin. It is always the top side and labeled well.