Pairing Ribbon Tweeters Vertical + Horizontal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to DIY Audio, I have no idea of how it works hence it may sound foolish.

Will pairing two ribbon tweeter vertically + horizontally is it a bad idea. If it is bad then why. If it is fine then are there any drawbacks.

Reason: To solve the vertical dispersion problem of ribbon tweeters.

EDIT:
Something like this:
DSC_0037-filtered.jpg

Here is the link for the source
AMT Tweeter Two-Way Speaker Project

Last edited:
I am new to DIY Audio, I have no idea of how it works hence it may sound foolish.

Will pairing two ribbon tweeter vertically + horizontally is it a bad idea. If it is bad then why. If it is fine then are there any drawbacks.

Hi

I do not belive it will solve the problem. You will get interference between them and the net effect will be reduced dispersion.

I believe you are talking about a vertical array, it’s been done commercially for years (high end), and also used in pro audio. There are few diy solutions probably because of cost. It requires more attention than single drivers to avoid frequency cancellation and phase issues. You may want to look into waveguides to achieve the desired directivity using a more traditional cone or dome driver.
Six.

The speaker will be vertical array, but I was talking about the problem faced by ribbon tweeters which is vertical dispersion. I wanted to know if I pair the Vertical tweeter with Horizontal tweeter in parallel placed together with no other drivers in between will there be any problem. Is it feasible or will it have major drawbacks.

I believe you are talking about a vertical array, it’s been done commercially for years (high end), and also used in pro audio. There are few diy solutions probably because of cost. It requires more attention than single drivers to avoid frequency cancellation and phase issues. You may want to look into waveguides to achieve the desired directivity using a more traditional cone or dome driver.
Six.

The speaker will be vertical array, but I was talking about the problem faced by ribbon tweeters which is vertical dispersion. I wanted to know if I pair the Vertical tweeter with Horizontal tweeter in parallel placed together with no other drivers in between will there be any problem. Is it feasible or will it have major drawbacks.

You got me there, I’ve never seen that done. Sounds like a great opportunity to do some diy research and learn!
Six

Last edited:
before we get into the possible problems with your arraignment of two ribbons , lets first talk about the alleged problem with a ribbons vertical dispersion.

1st- how long are the ribbons you plan to use
2nd- have you actually tried one ribbon and are you actually experiencing/ hearing an issue with vert dispersion

The reason I ask these questions first is that the ribbon often gets a bad rap because of the assumption that vert dispersion is a problem. Yes it can be BUT it depends on how long the ribbon is and how far away from the speakers you will be sitting.

My own experience is this, IF the ribbon is about 75 mm long or shorter, AND you are sitting about 8 feet or more away, then there is no problem.

There is a mountain of other things that can be considered BUT lets keep it one thing at a time to avoid confusion for now

"better" depends on what you are trying to do ?

I am familiar with that tweeter but need to know what your trying to accomplish

That is a short ribbon so...
as far as vertical dispersion goes, IMO that ribbon is not going to be a "problem" in the average listening situation ( someone sitting down in the listening window )

even standing up and moving around the room IMO wont be a problem. Yes there will be some vertical beaming in the final octave but again IMO not enough to be a problem

that design has a peak in response around 12 kHz starting at 7k ending at around 25k so if ya want a truly flat response all the way out you will need to EQ that peak. Not too hard to do if youhave measuring equipment.

The biggest issue I have with Fountek ribbons is the rather large resonance at the low end of their response. Hard to do a good crossover lower than about 4 kHz

Last edited:
transcendentsound.com has just what the OP ordered. A pair of amt's in one box, mounted perpendicular to each other.

Mundorf has a summary paper on their amt development. Covers diaphragm size/dispersion characteristics pretty well. At the end of the paper they included a university study done with amt's in an array. Good read.

I understood what you were saying

btw dont mean to bring a dark cloud but do mean to reveal truth. In the link you gave they say....
"They all have one common problem. They have excellent horizontal dispersion but poor vertical dispersion. "

This is not exactly true. Their biggest problem IS horizontal dispersion. They are quite wide for tweeter duty. The ribbons like the Fountek have a much wider horizontal dispersion than those AMTs
IF your committed to doing the "T" arraignment you are talking about AND you are really concerned with wide dispersion, then the ribbon will beat the AMT by a wide margin

Last edited:
As a rough rule of thumb, any multiple drivers at any frequency will produce significant comb filtering if they are spaced greater than about half a wavelength apart (center-to-centre) at the frequency concerned. On paper this looks like a very poorly thought-out solution to dispersion 'problems'. Comb filtering will provide many more problems than this 'solution' is supposed to solve - you would only need to move the listening point an inch or two for the HF response to change dramatically.

I understood what you were saying

btw dont mean to bring a dark cloud but do mean to reveal truth. In the link you gave they say....
"They all have one common problem. They have excellent horizontal dispersion but poor vertical dispersion. "

This is not exactly true. Their biggest problem IS horizontal dispersion. They are quite wide for tweeter duty. The ribbons like the Fountek have a much wider horizontal dispersion than those AMTs
IF your committed to doing the "T" arraignment you are talking about AND you are really concerned with wide dispersion, then the ribbon will beat the AMT by a wide margin
Then am I going on the right path or the wrong path for driver selection. From what you said I understand that horizontal area coverage is better than those AMTs, or did I completely misunderstand what you tried to explain.

well IMO 2 tweeters or more is not a good path to begin with.

What MrKlinky said is true. Multiple tweeters spread apart in any configuration are likely to cause problems in the high frequency's.

ALL AMTs diaphragms tend to be quite wide in the horizontal direction and its a diaphragms width that determines horizontal dispersion. The less wide , the more dispersion.

Again IF really wide horizontal dispersion really is what you want then nothing beats a ribbon because they are typically the thinnest drivers made.

The AMTs can be great drivers BUT they dont excel in the horizontal dispersion area because they are usually quite wide. The very fact that site says they have "excelent horiz dispers" is a big red flag IMO as that is what they are not good at as compared to other tweeters

we really need to start with whatever mid range or woofer you are pairing the tweeter with to make a judgment on how "good" a tweeter may be

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.