P3A DC calculations problems

martinho

2013-01-31 1:43 pm
Hello! I will construct P3A for my college project, but before constructing it i have to do some calculations so i started it with DC.

---> link to P3A amp 60-80W Power Amplifier

I am using Proteus ISIS on my college and i try to check all calculations with it.

THE BIGGEST problem is the calculation of Q5 base current, here is pic from Proteus:

Vbe multiplier #2.jpg

i dont have a clue how to calculate it. I understand how to get Vbe multipliers current, but i dont understand how to get that Q9 emmiter current (or Q5 base current).

and one minor problem is in differential amp - in Q1 and Q2 base currents.

Q1 base current is smaller then Q2`s because base resistance of Q1 is bigger (24200 ohm, while Q2 resistance is 22k). This is all clear but i still dont have an idea to calculate it.

Diffamp #1.jpg

Thank you very much

martinho

It is impossible to solve this circuit without using Shockley equation and some iterative methods for solving nonlinear equations.

thanks for answering

you mean shockley equation for a current source because it has a diode? i know its stupid but i look at that diode as resistor in DC analysis (i measured current and voltage and got 1600 ohms resistance). I know thats impossible (diode=resistor) but it eased things little bit, i will go back on it later when i calculate other things.

jony

2004-06-26 11:39 am
wroclaw
Well I was talking about this equation
Ic = Is*e^(Vbe/Vt) .
And you cannot replace a diode with a resistor. Because diode static resistance is not constant. It will change with the current. We have nonlinear device here.

But why you want to calculate all this currents with such a precision?
Normally we don't need to know the exact value of a current in the circuit.
It's almost impassible to know exact value. Because we don't know exact value of a Hfe, Vbe, Is... etc

In most of a time we do simplified DC analysis.
We start with Q3

IcQ3 = (Vled1 - VbeQ3)/R7
So if we assume Vled1 = 2V and Vbe = 0.65V we have

IcQ3 = (2V - 0.65V)/560R = 2.4mA

And

IcQ1 = IcQ2 = IcQ3/2 = 1.2mA.

Also we can easily find Q4 collector current

IcQ4 = (Vee - VbeQ6)/(R9 + R10) = (35V - 0.65V)/6.6K = 5.2mA

And Vbe multiplier voltage (between collector end emitter) is equal to
VceQ9 = VbeQ9*(1 + R16/VR1).

martinho

Well I was talking about this equation
Ic = Is*e^(Vbe/Vt) .
And you cannot replace a diode with a resistor. Because diode static resistance is not constant. It will change with the current. We have nonlinear device here.

But why you want to calculate all this currents with such a precision?
Normally we don't need to know the exact value of a current in the circuit.
It's almost impassible to know exact value. Because we don't know exact value of a Hfe, Vbe, Is... etc

I wanna calculate precisely because it is a work for a college. I approximately calculated Hfe, Vbe, but no Is and Ut and so on.. So yeah, i will have to do it other way. Thanks for that!

In most of a time we do simplified DC analysis.
We start with Q3

IcQ3 = (Vled1 - VbeQ3)/R7
So if we assume Vled1 = 2V and Vbe = 0.65V we have

IcQ3 = (2V - 0.65V)/560R = 2.4mA

And

IcQ1 = IcQ2 = IcQ3/2 = 1.2mA.

Also we can easily find Q4 collector current

IcQ4 = (Vee - VbeQ6)/(R9 + R10) = (35V - 0.65V)/6.6K = 5.2mA

And Vbe multiplier voltage (between collector end emitter) is equal to
VceQ9 = VbeQ9*(1 + R16/VR1).

Thanks for taking your time, i really appreciate this