Old woolen sweaters as wadding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently wearing what was quite a nice Alpaca wool sweater, which now has quite a few holes in it. I'd decided that when it needed a wash I'd chuck it.

But then...I'm also half-way through one or two speaker building projects. Both going to be either sealed or aperiodic... any reason not to try it as wadding? Was thinking to wash first, then shred it up as best as possible.

To be honest got quite a few moth-eaten woolens I haven't yet had the heart to throw away...

...cheap materials are good, free is even better. :D

Last edited:
Perhaps throw some naptha moth balls in with it lest your speaker become a silk worm hatchery :) Yes, I recall the suggestion of "long fiber wool" (?) for speaker batting. For my own projects, we have precious little need for wool sweaters here in Florida, but I've been known to use nearly any type of old clothing or towels for filler. Especially for things that don't really "need" batting (subwoofer cab.) Having exhausting my supply of rags, I recently resorted to that old standby god old itch fiber glass :)

Sent from my NV570P using Tapatalk

If I remember right Dr Geddes did a test of old materials that included even socks. He said the results where as good or better than any other conventional methods. The one thing I think he did though was tear them up. So take a pair of scissors and go nuts. There's materials you can use in front to stop the fibers from getting into the driver / out of the vent.

-Shawn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.