Off Topic: Carputer LCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone! I'm back again because I got a new job at a data center, hooray!

Anyways, I've been craving a project for the past few months when all of my money went to loan payments and I've figured out that instead of building a better projector, I'd build a carputer. I came across a screen that looks nice, but I need some comments on it. Native is 800x480 and it's a touchscreen, so it should be fine for maps and mp3s, I don't plan on watching movies on it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7985072563&category=38650&sspagename=WDVW

There are a couple of videos, but I want some comments from real people like you guys. The only thing I can find about it is that it's branded as AV-4u. I don't think it's worth $419, but that's the cheapest motorized LCD I could find. Anyone know where I can get a motorized one cheaper?

Thanks!

If you don't mind a big LCD...

All of the 14" and 15" LCD monitors I have seen use a wallwart power supply to give them DC. If you can find one that uses a 12 volt power supply, then you could run it in your car.

Costs are in the $150 to $200 range for these if you look around a bit. They also give you 1024 by 768 resolution.

Be careful with what you connect to your cars electrical system. If you get a lcd that runs on 12V and connects it directly you will get trouble. The voltage in a car is not anywhere near stable and clean, when you start the car for example. the voltage can drop much, maby to around 5V, and when running it can be somewhere between 14 and 8V. There is also much noise, spikes and stuff on the power lines.

The lcd will certainly not be very glad about this and I recommend that you get a power supply that is made to be used in a car for it.

Thanks for the info ;)

My plan to use an old Pentium 3 I had laying around didn't seem feesible, so I'm going to use a 2.4Ghz Celeron laptop that will be replaced soon anyways. It will fit nicely under my seat and there will be less wires to route. My plan was to get one of those cigarette lighter adapters so that I could plug the laptop into it, but I want the computer to turn itself on when I start the car. I think I can wire it so that the power button on the computer is pressed at the same time the radio turns on...

I still want to get the motorized touchscreen, since it's so much cooler than a big laptop LCD. I've been running my laptop in VGA resolution so that I could arrange everything neatly on the screen and not have much difference when it gets displayed on a WVGA screen, but VGA is really too small for me to work with if I want to do the whole GPS thing. I guess I start looking for an SVGA touchscreen now. I don't think I need to have a motorized screen, but it's more secure in my neighborhood, since when it folds away, it looks like a stereo without a CD player.

For now, my search continues, I'll let you guys know if I find anything.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.