NHT SA-2 vs. plate amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got the opportunity to buy an NHT SA-2 and I'd like opinions from anyone that has used or heard one. It will eventually be mated to sub accompanying my not yet completed full rangers. I don't think power will be an issue. I like the 35-150 hz low pass range, the 100 hz speaker level high pass, the adjustable line level high pass, and it's stand alone nature. On the downside it's $120 price puts it in the midst of some passable looking plate amps, and it is used. Any thoughts?

thanks,

Paul

specs at:

http://www.nhthifi.com/products/sa-2.html

The NHT SA-1. SA-2, SA-3 were plate amps repackaged. Build quality was on a par with the better plate amps.... ie nothing special quality wise. Circuit was, as a rule reliable, albeit perhaps complicated.

They would usually run into 2 ohms or less with no problem thanks to an opto-coupled current limit device. Ran pretty efficient, once ran an SA-3 into 1 ohm non inductive load until it clipped with 60 Hz input signal.

The SA-3 under these conditions drew about 10 watts more from the wall than it actually produced.

Cyclotronguy

My reason for bookmarking is I'm investigating a problem my NHT sub amp encountered so I may be back with a few questions.

I had been using an NHT amp with a small box peerless 10" sealed subwoofer and totem mites for the satellites on desktop and was happy with its performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.