Newbie question capacitors


2008-09-21 11:25 pm
In a typical Japanese or wherever integrated or power amp there are usually two big caps or cans that stick up above the rest. 8200 uf 50v or 63v seem to be typical, my question is where are there articles about just these caps, what to replace them with, what brands are good, lousy and otherwise?
I don't even know what to call them. Power caps?

Thanks, Tom
Power supply filter caps. They filter the bridge rectifier output to create DC. I would generally replace them with the same value as opposed to increasing value in a Chip amp circuit because sometimes the designer counts on voltage depleation to limit SOA to prevent failue. If the amp is older, the same value modern cap may be physically smaller.