Need scheme for 400w mosfet amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• LEGEND-StageMaster%20MK2.gif
    LEGEND-StageMaster%20MK2.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited:
Also very nice

Thanks to two colleagues but i realise that scheme from meanman1964 is better and much easier :) ... But can somebody tell me 3 things ???
1. Does this scheme surely works ?
2. What transformer i need to get the full power from this amplifier ?
3. How much maximum real power can i get from this amplifier (RMS) ?

Last edited:
It will provide your 400W RMS into 8 ohms but you will need a lot of FETs and a LARGE heatsink - it will get HOT.

For 95V supplies you would need a transformer with 70V AC secondaries.. it would have to be large, 1000VA at least. You would need a lot of power supply capacitance also.

These amps are not simple, cheap or safe to DIY - you really must know what you are doing - the power supply voltages alone can kill you

If you don't know how to arrive at these answers then I suggest this is not a project for you at your current level of expertise.

Agreed. Class AB is not really suitable for these power levels anyway. Class G/H is not simple to build either. If you really require this sort of power level, you are far better buying a commercially made amplifier. If you buy a second hand one in good working order, it will be cheaper than anything you can DIY.

Agreed. Class AB is not really suitable for these power levels anyway. Class G/H is not simple to build either. If you really require this sort of power level, you are far better buying a commercially made amplifier. If you buy a second hand one in good working order, it will be cheaper than anything you can DIY.

I have made amplifier 2x100w and i think that i can do this amplifier . :)

Almost every commercial amp will be cheaper and maybe even better than DIY.

The less experienced someone is the more likely he is interested in multi hundred Watt or kilowatt designs. (Looking at myself... ;) )

Why is class AB not suitable for 400W? I built a class AB amp with twice the power. As a side effect you have a great heater, good for the winter months. Your cat might love it. :)

DIY is for learning something and for the fun of doing it. Not for saving money.

Almost every commercial amp will be cheaper and maybe even better than DIY.

The less experienced someone is the more likely he is interested in multi hundred Watt or kilowatt designs. (Looking at myself... ;) )

Why is class AB not suitable for 400W? I built a class AB amp with twice the power. As a side effect you have a great heater, good for the winter months. Your cat might love it. :)

DIY is for learning something and for the fun of doing it. Not for saving money.

Many people want to DIY such powerful amps because they think it will somehow be cheaper. It isnt.

800W in Class AB? It's ridiculously inefficient. If you really need 800W, you should be looking at Class D.

Many people want to DIY such powerful amps because they think it will somehow be cheaper. It isnt.
Exactly. :up:

800W in Class AB? It's ridiculously inefficient.
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: It is. :D :D :D Stereo idle power waste is 360W or something. :cheerful:

If you really need 800W, you should be looking at Class D.
Honestly, who needs 800W at all? Or 400W? This is for PA use. One can get a PA amp from 300 Euro.

However, DIY is for the fun of building something. Why not build a 400W or 800W amp yourself...? :cheers:

If Daniel is serious about this project and he has already built a 100W+100W amplifier then he should already know the answers to his questions.

If he learned nothing from his first build, then I am not going to guide him through the route of potentially killing himself or others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.