Need a cheap passive 100Hz crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Basically using a butterworth design which uses the smallest capacitors it's still about 50uf and so quite expensive any other ideas? I think the impedence is around 8ohms (8-9 free air but I will be putting this in a horn), this is the minimum impedance of the driver anyway.

Thanks
Boscoe

Last edited:
Boscoe now i have the problem likes this. i sim xo passive sub. the cut off 150 hz. the coil is very lagre 8 mh . condenser is about 200 mf ! 200 mf i think will use the cheap C[electrolytic]. but only has the coil is very expensive. the cost of big coil make me think a lot. lol it's close to plate amp.:)

A 12dB Butterworth 100hz passive crossover requires a 140µF capacitor and an 18mH inductor for and 8 ohm driver.

Large wire gauge inductors are not cheap, nor are good capacitors that size. A 200W plate amplifier may only be a few dollars more.

I bought a used Crest CPX 900 for $200 (including freight). 320W/4R per channel, 600W/8R bridged, built in crossover.

Cheap, passive Sorry but that is an oxymoron. Big caps, big coils of fat wire.
Now, one can play games. One can change the input and feedback cap on an amp to make the amp itself a 12dB filter. Band pass boxes can do some filtering. Other games can be done in a receiver. Look at the problem from a systems view. Think out of the box. (sorry)

I designed a line level low pass filter several years ago. This might give you some ideas.

Attachments

• 100Hz LPF.GIF
    100Hz LPF.GIF
    8.1 KB · Views: 347
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.