NCore NC400 Cycling on / off - My Fix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
OK, don't know if anyone has my issues anymore but thought to post anyway

My NCore NC400 with Hypex SMPS600 monoblocks were switching on - off repeatedly, especially on my difficult to drive ML CLS electrostats... I had thought oh, the Class D not playing nice with Electrostats issue...but when it was also doing it on my Maggies, I knew something was up...

After reading the following:

Dead Hypex SMPS600 V3 Power Supplies - notANON

I decided to recap the SMPS power supplies... as it gets somewhat hot and cooks those nearby caps. Being the lazy turd that I am, I just replaced the caps I had on hand, and focused on all the ones under the big heatsink - and yes, you have to remove the heatsink - I changed the three biggest caps - the two big 220v 820uf caps and the 50v 470uf...but on one SMPS I also changed the 35v 220uf (right up against the hot heatsink), and the SMPS other I forgot (it was 2 am).

Anyway, I was happy, but confused as one worked perfectly, while the other SMPS still had issues firing up and staying up.. until I remembered the 35v 220uf I forgot on one SMPS. I replaced it and both are good now.

Also the re calibrate the DC sense on the NC400 with 3 volts on the Mystery 5 pin block on NC400 pins 1 and 2 (neg on 1 pos on 2, with pin 1 closest to the block caps). I had two AAA batteries giving me 2.98vdc that I used, and the amp just stopped - it would no longer produce any sound even though the last cap replacement made it finally fire up and stay up with all LEDs, but sadly, no music.

Then I remembered someone here had done the same thing (two AAA batteries) but used a pair with a bit higher voltage - 3.09 vdc, and it finally worked. So I checked all combination of AAA batteries I had on hand until I got right around that 3.09 vdc and tried it - finally some music.....whew... I had them drive my ML CLS for a few hours at low, then high output and all is good again.

Now if I can just cancel that new SMPS600 from Hypex that I ordered before remembering that one cap I forgot yesterday, all will be really good again...

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hypex just canceled my order, and they are very interested in my "fix" above.

Hypex customer support just plain rocks!

On a side note, I was thinking I was a bit underwhelmed by the NC400 performance compared to my ICEPower 500ASP monos i have (not really counting the cycling on - off issue), but since replacing those caps, it really sounds great and as good, if not better, than the 500ASP monos.....

I just want to hear them on my Quads next...just need to fix them first....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.