My sealed timber subs.

This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started these a long time ago, finished them a little while ago, and finally got around to posting them. They are built from Tasmanian Oak and are lined with cement sheet for rigidity and stability. They are braced on 5 sides, lined with felt and filled with polyfill. The drivers are budget JBL GT4-12 car audio drivers, which modeled well in the small box. They are driven by a Playmaster stereo power amp and crossed over with a DCX2496. For the money spent, I am very happy. One day I will make some covers for the ugly drivers !


Very nice looking subs. The wood is beautiful.

Car subs make good home subs. They do good in small boxes, and play nice and low. If you don't like the look of the woofers, they do make some really nice looking ones out there that would probably do just as well in those same type boxes. I don't mind the way they look though. It looks like it is loud with those speakers in there.
Thanks guys. I haven't really run them that loud yet, as I've just moved in here and I don't want to bother the neighbours too soon!
Even at low volumes I am very happy with how they perform. Just going on the diameter of the voicecoil wire, they should handle a decent amount of power.
It's actually Tasmanian Oak flooring board. It comes in a tongue and groove profile, and I just glued some cement sheet to it on the inside to account for the fact that there is a gap left on the inside due to the way it is designed for flooring. They were built in a different house, it just so happened that the house I just moved to has Tassie Oak flooring!
I'm not sure whether plasterboard is better, the aim here was more to provide structural rigidity and a solid base for the timber to reduce the chance of cracking. Some of the glue joins have opened up a bit as the timber has dried out, but it's holding together, I think it's just the surface part of the join that has let go. I used normal old aquadhere throughout. I had to make an edge piece to cover the holes left on the top edges by the tongue and grove joins, which I just routed flush after gluing.
Looks really nice and the description of the work that went in to this is extraordinary.

By the way if you are artistic enough, try figure out a way to lightly blacken (no heavy paint, maybe a marker and do it lightly so as not to push in the dust cap) the ugly writing (no offense) as the driver itself is not that bad looking.
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.