My custom 3 way Active Mains

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,
my first post here. After a couple of months of research, I started working on these about 5 months ago and they are finally going in to have the clear polyurethane sprayed on them. I built these using stacked 1 inch HDF and wrapped with bending Baltic Birch making the walls a total of 2 inches thick with a 3 inch front baffle. The drivers are two AE TD10S woofers per side with Seas W15ly and Seas Magnum tweeter in an MTM setup for the mids and high.
I am going to use the DEQX active crossover to control the speakers.
here are some pictures.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    533 KB · Views: 476
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    366.8 KB · Views: 459
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    464.4 KB · Views: 458
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    511.5 KB · Views: 503
Hello everyone,
my first post here. After a couple of months of research, I started working on these about 5 months ago and they are finally going in to have the clear polyurethane sprayed on them. I built these using stacked 1 inch HDF and wrapped with bending Baltic Birch making the walls a total of 2 inches thick with a 3 inch front baffle. The drivers are two AE TD10S woofers per side with Seas W15ly and Seas Magnum tweeter in an MTM setup for the mids and high.
I am going to use the DEQX active crossover to control the speakers.
here are some pictures.

You'll need to chamfer those holes out. Drivers wont breath properly without. Also causes cavity effects adding to the problem

How did you create the black part that covers the space behind the top most woofer? The profile is something like a half-bullet. I have always wanted to use something like that but never figured out a good way to create this shape.

I stacked pieces of MDF together and lots of sanding. the whole thing is cover with multiple coats of diluted fiberglass resin so it would not absorb too much paint making it easier to get that high gloss finish

Beautiful!

Did you hand cut the MDF or CNC?

That is VERY similar to what I wanted to do but never pulled it off due to the lack of CNC facilities available at the time.

Any thought of having the amplification in the enclosures? I'm waiting for a linked "master - slave" or "Primary - secondary" DSP solution to put in each enclosure.. (Come on Mini-DSP, make a link cable and add master/slave functionality)

But your finish looks great and I bet they will be very versatile with the active xo...

Beautiful!

Any thought of having the amplification in the enclosures? I'm waiting for a linked "master - slave" or "Primary - secondary" DSP solution to put in each enclosure.. (Come on Mini-DSP, make a link cable and add master/slave functionality)

But your finish looks great and I bet they will be very versatile with the active xo...

Rezn, Nice is an understatement, bet you had some sanding (brushing it off myself ;)

Afraid to ask how much they weigh :eek:

I hear you on the mindsp! Will be using a 2x4 per speaker, amp et al integrated on mine

Last edited:
Beautiful!

Did you hand cut the MDF or CNC?

That is VERY similar to what I wanted to do but never pulled it off due to the lack of CNC facilities available at the time.

Thank. as far as amps go, I used parasound halo for the mids and highs and Adcom gfa 7807 for the woofers. I never thought about internal amps but i don't see why not
The cutting of the stacked pieces for the main part of the enclosures was done by a friend with CNC a total of 100 1" hdf pieces.

Rezn, Nice is an understatement, bet you had some sanding (brushing it off myself ;)

Afraid to ask how much they weigh :eek:

I hear you on the mindsp! Will be using a 2x4 per speaker, amp et al integrated on mine

thank you very much. They do look much better in person than the pics.
yes lots of sanding was done on the upper done pieces. but the main part was very smooth as i ended up wrapping the whole thing with 3 layers of 1/8" bending baltic birch.
they weigh about 250-300lbs each

A very heroic design. Reminds me of "The twelve labours of Hercules"!

The classic debate of "potentially" superior polar response from TM vs. larger cone area from MTM.

Did you consider a TM - WW using the Lambda TD6M before building your MTM - WW using the Seas W15LY?
As a Lambda fan, did you review the TD6.. options?

W15LY Sensitivity (1W/1m) 86.5
Sd: 75 sq. cm

TD6M-8 Sensitivity (1W/1m) 93.5dB
Sd: 127 sqcm

TD6M-8 T/S Parameters
Fs: 83hz
Qms: 3.1
Vas: 10.3L
Cms: .45mm/N
Mms: 8.2 g
Rms: 1.38kg/s
Xmax: 3.3mm
xmech: 7mm
Qes: .46
Re: 6.1ohm
Le: .044mH
Z: 8ohm
Bl: 7.5 Tm
Pe: 100W
Qts: .4
qW SPL: 93.5dB
2.83V: 94.5dB

A very heroic design. Reminds me of "The twelve labours of Hercules"!

The classic debate of "potentially" superior polar response from TM vs. larger cone area from MTM.

Did you consider a TM - WW using the Lambda TD6M before building your MTM - WW using the Seas W15LY?
As a Lambda fan, did you review the TD6.. options?

W15LY Sensitivity (1W/1m) 86.5
Sd: 75 sq. cm

TD6M-8 Sensitivity (1W/1m) 93.5dB

TD6M-8 T/S Parameters
Fs: 83hz
Qms: 3.1
Vas: 10.3L
Cms: .45mm/N
Mms: 8.2 g
Rms: 1.38kg/s
Xmax: 3.3mm
xmech: 7mm
Qes: .46
Re: 6.1ohm
Le: .044mH
Z: 8ohm
Bl: 7.5 Tm
Pe: 100W
Qts: .4
qW SPL: 93.5dB
2.83V: 94.5dB

There are two issues
1-I designed this around the fact that I already had the seas mids and the tweeter
2-the sensitivity of the driver irrelevant when using an active crossover. remember you have gain controls
and the argument can go both ways with regards to MTM vs TM design.
having said that, if I had to do it over again, I would choose a different mid and tweeter but no necessarily the lambda driver.
BTW i dont consider my self by no means a speaker designer. I did a lot of reading and research online as will as talk to the guys at madisound, AE speakers and Nyal at Acoustic Fronties (who BTW was a big help especially with calibrating the DEQX) and came up with a design which i like very much so far

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.