Music vs Normal Cap for Voltage Regulation Diffrent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
By 'normal' caps I assume you mean reputable branded parts of good commercial quality from major manufacturers that are reasonably priced. And by 'music' caps I'm assuming you mean parts that command a high price tag and have dubious unsubstantiated claims ascribed to them.

Your finding of either type having 'no impact' probably answers the question :)

You can change any component of a solid state, the high amount of feedback nulls any difference there might be between components. Been there done that, DC coupling vs AC and nichicon vs no brand and film caps.
Ah, so you reckon cause theres feed back it makes no diffrence, I see.

So I think two guys have the same conclusion as me, So now I know for sure, that normall and audio grade capacitors in regulating voltage for amps are the same :D

If you are using the correct cap value and the correct cap dielectric then it is most unlikely that you will hear a difference between an expensive cap and an ordinary cap. If you do hear a difference it is quite likely that this is because the expensive cap is not as well made as the cheaper one. When I say "hear" I do of course mean with ears alone; if you are looking then you are almost certain to hear better sound with the more expensive cap.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
And, to varying degrees the power supply. The voltage stabilising effect of a capacitance across a rail supplying a stage that doesn't draw constant current implies a signal current flow through it. A capacitor and associated network that doesn't provide a consistent source impedance may have an effect.

I think the difference should be made as to whether a capacitor choice can break a design this way, or whether it is merely an option due to some smaller consideration.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, a useful concept but often ill defined.

Example: a single common-cathode tube amplifier stage. Intuitively, one would say that the signal path is from the input, through the coupling cap to the grid, from the anode through the coupling cap to the output.

Now, can you find signal components in the cathode current? Yes. Can you find signal components in the power supply voltage and current? Yes. Would you therefor include the power supply in 'the signal path'? I wouldn't think so, but as I said, the signal path is ill defined and anybody can (and often does, depending on his personal agenda) set up his own definition.

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.