MTX2300 playing very low

Hi guys recently my mtx 2300 starts playing very low. When i bought it i replace the 16 mosfets, it was like three years ago. Didnt replace power supply transistors nor rectifiers. Amp was playing great and one day and the next day when i turn it on, the amp starts playing very low. When new it came with ssp45n20a and i replace for the same models on the outputs. On the power supply it has 75339P. Any suggestions on where to start, no fuse blowns.

IMG_20230106_075204.jpg

IMG-20200610-WA0008.jpg

IMG_20230106_074320.jpg

1. Where did you buy the ssp45n20a? They have been discontinued.

2. Does the amp produce clean audio?

3. Are you sure the problem isn't the signal source?

4. Does the gain control work as expected?

5. Do you have a scope?
Hi Perry a pleasure to meet you, bought them in a company dedicated to supply electronics they were called aeri in california. The amp was producing awesome clean sound, the only thing strange was that in order for the amp to sound loud i had to use both gain knobs instead of only one, as far as i know when bridged, you were suppose to only use one knob but one knob sound very low, so use both knobs at the same level and the amp plays hard. Regarding the signal, the signal is not bad, because i have another mtx 2300, but the one that came with irf540n and only 4 power supply mosfets and that amp is playing good right now. The one i am playing right now is a 1996 model. The one that got damage is a 1998 comes with 16 ssp45n20a and 6 75339p on the power supply. I dont have a scope really. Is it possible to relace ssp45n20a for irf540 on the 1998 amp, or whats your suggestions. I really wanted to keep these jewels runing.
Below a pic on the 1996 amp and a photo of the board of the amp that goes bad.

IMG_20221227_130957.jpg

IMG_20230106_142917.jpg

The outputs have nothing to do with the output level. If the audio is clean (but low), everything beyond the preamp level circuits is likely OK.

The pots and switches can be a problem. I'd clean them (contact cleaner and operate them through their entire range 20 times or more).

The amps that have the rectifiers on one side of the heatsink sometimes break where they're bent. They aren't likely causing this problem but you should check them.

The outputs have nothing to do with the output level. If the audio is clean (but low), everything beyond the preamp level circuits is likely OK.

The pots and switches can be a problem. I'd clean them (contact cleaner and operate them through their entire range 20 times or more).

The amps that have the rectifiers on one side of the heatsink sometimes break where they're bent. They aren't likely causing this problem but you should check them.
Got it ill clean and inform. Perry what about those 75339p. Time ago i read another post in this page mentioning about 3205 mosfets on power supply. Are those 3205 suitable to replace the 75339p?

The originals have lasted for 30 years. Unless you plan on abusing the amp, replacing the originals will gain nothing.

The 3205s will work but are not that much better (actually no better for this amp).
Got it, many thanks for your help. Ill clean the pots and let you know how everything goes. Perry one last question, which is the main difference between irf540n and ssp45n20a. I have seen plenty of amps using irf and not many amp using ssp45.

The SSP was discontinued 10? years ago (maybe longer). The 540N has been in use for a long time and is still available. I don't remember seeing the SSP in many amps other than the MTX amps and some of the Sony amps that used the same basic class D design.

The biggest difference is the voltage but the higher voltage isn't needed in an amp (like this one) with less than 100v total rail voltage (rail to rail).

Hi Perry, hope everything is going great. Perry you were completely right y clean the pots and amp goes back to life i even think it is sounding louder. Man it sound cristal clear and with so much punch, below a video hope you can look to it

Attachments

• VID-20230123-WA0029.mp4
    4.6 MB