mid range type

ScottG

2003-02-04 12:23 am
US
if any of you out there were to build a new 3 way floor standing high end pair of speakers what would you look for in a mid driver to use?
would you pick a dome or a cone mid bass driver?

It really depends on the overall design.. but probably the Neo 10 open-back (for a "one-stop-shop").

Ex.

Introducing: Echelon

Accompanying tweeter would probably be the LL2 C120 Air Motion Tweeter.

GKF

2011-10-27 12:48 am
miramichi NB
thanks guys keep the thoughts coming
i've built many speakers in my life and mostly 2 way multi driver designs sealed, ported and tl.
the 3 way i put together was from drivers i had sitting around. they have 4 dayton 6.5 woofers ported with a dayton rs52an mid and a morel mdt37 tweeter.
crossed at 700& 5600 to get 8 octave spread.
this was just to try my first 3 way. right off the bat i noticed the mdt37 was a total piece of crap. very poor quality sound. the curve shows why, roll off after 10000hz
making a dull lifeless top end.
so i bought from a lister a pair of dynaudio new d28 tweeters never used.
the rs52an mid is an alright entry level but i can hear what i don't like about it and want better there as well.
i want to build another set , this time i want to go woofer woofer mid tweet woofer woofer in a 56 high narrow tl design.
i also have laying around 2 css fr125 4 .5 full range, 2 jordan jx92 5 full range and 2 peerless 4" mid woofers but these are only 84 db.
here is a look at the 3 way now
http://[IMGDEAD]https://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp87/91owner/speaker%20building/DSCF0857.jpg[/IMGDEAD]

GKF

2011-10-27 12:48 am
miramichi NB
thanks guys keep the thoughts coming
i've built many speakers in my life and mostly 2 way multi driver designs sealed, ported and tl.
the 3 way i put together was from drivers i had sitting around. they have 4 dayton 6.5 woofers ported with a dayton rs52an mid and a morel mdt37 tweeter.
crossed at 700& 5600 to get 8 octave spread.
this was just to try my first 3 way. right off the bat i noticed the mdt37 was a total piece of crap. very poor quality sound. the curve shows why, roll off after 10000hz
making a dull lifeless top end.
so i bought from a lister a pair of dynaudio new d28 tweeters never used.
the rs52an mid is an alright entry level but i can hear what i don't like about it and want better there as well.
i want to build another set , this time i want to go woofer woofer mid tweet woofer woofer in a 56 high narrow tl design.
i also have laying around 2 css fr125 4 .5 full range, 2 jordan jx92 5 full range and 2 peerless 4" mid woofers but these are only 84 db.
here is a look at the 3 way now
http://

what do you guys think about the css fr125 or the jordan jx92 for a mid range?

thanks guys
but see i don't really care for the rs52an. at first i thought it would be a perfect match 91 db + 2.45 db bandpass gain making it 93.45 the morel mdt37 is 93 db. but as stated the 2 mdt37 i have are crap.
the 4 dc160 are wonderfull drivers for low cost that is.
what do you think about the crossover of 700hz and 5600hz 2nd order .