Meridiean MCD CD Player cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
Repairing a Meridian MCD player for a friend. this is not the PRO version. Anyways, the Meridian analogue board was fried. 2 of the Tantalum caps caught fire.:redhot: Go figure. So I'm restoring the DAC Board to original operation and removing the Meridian analogue board.
Question-
What to replace the 1% caps with?
Anyone know what voltage were they rtes at?
Thanks

Attachments

• mod MCD.jpg
    mod MCD.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 97
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Some tants can be problematic if used incorrectly, such as connecting them directly across what are already low impedance rails.

I'm guessing your 1% caps are polyester film types... if so, why the need to replace them ? They won't have deteriorated. Voltage wise I would think even the lowest available types (say 63v) is still way over anything the DAC pcb will see. These days 100 or 160 vdc is more common.

Some tants can be problematic if used incorrectly, such as connecting them directly across what are already low impedance rails.

I'm guessing your 1% caps are polyester film types... if so, why the need to replace them ? They won't have deteriorated. Voltage wise I would think even the lowest available types (say 63v) is still way over anything the DAC pcb will see. These days 100 or 160 vdc is more common.

I don't want to replace them, I know the Original CD101 had the silver film caps, but I currently don't have any and would rather not try and source them if I don't have to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.