Luxman 1500 Receiver Disassembly

This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need to pull this apart and clean it, but tuner knob will NOT come off. No hole for a set screw, and no hidden screws just behind the front panel ala Yamaha.

Sucker won't budge. Not a bit.

Anyone worked on one of these? Any tricks or ideas? I sure would be bummed to break's a beautiful receiver.
If it is a push fit (I don't know), the recommended method is to loop string round the shaft behind the knob and pull on the ends.
It's always possible, of course, that it was loose, and has been glued in place by a previous owner (wouldn't be the first time...)
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Echowars,
Hey, I resemble that remark!!

I was sure it's a splined shaft that just pulls off. Try putting two folded business cards above and below each of two flat blade screwdrivers. Pry equally with both until it comes off. They can get pretty attached sometimes.

-Chris's splined.

I actually got it off...I'm totally amazed!!!!!!!:D :D :D

I used some 22ga wire instead of string, and instead of letting my fingers take the punishment, I wrapped the wire around a long screwdriver and pulled on it. After a bit of tugging, it came off and I flew back and landed on my @ss. :) I was so happy I didn't care.

It was glued for sure. Now I gotta get that old glue off...
Had this problem once or twice... usually the splined shaft either gets compressed and loose, or broken, and the user then superglues the knob on. You were lucky to get it off without causing other damage. I had two instances where I had to take extraordinary measures. On a Marantz 1040 amp, I had to disassemble the selector switch leaving the shaft inside the knob and front plate, tyhen heat up the shaft metal with my soldering iron from the inside until the glue let go. A similar problem with a Technics tuner required me to do a re-string of the tuning dial (which is something I truly hate!), this time it was epoxy and it required heating up the shaft from the inside with a Weller Pyropen (gas soldering iron)! In both cases problems were so minor with the components themselves that the amount of work needed to take care of stupid user tricks cost more than the component itself...
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.