Lowther cabinet plans

I got an idea to build some full range speakers using Lowther units so I started looking for plans. I have been searching off and on for weeks and almost all of the links to DIY cabinets for Lowther speakers comes up a dead end! I have found some Medallion dwgs but nothing else. The links to Lowther's plan page on their web site and Lowther America's web site are no longer active. Is it now impossible to get any plans for Lowther speaker cabinets?

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
img_0300-jpg.859389

Which Lowther?

I have plans for PM6 Scott for PM4A. Scott & i can do custom designs for (some of) the others.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Dave. Well I don't know which Lowther yet as I have been waiting to see some plans and performance data first. The only thing that I know at this time is that I am thinking of an 8 inch driver (or about that size) and cabinet size is not much of a problem. I would like to build something that gets down to a least 40 Hz. I was originally thinking of building some 6+ foot tall tapered quarter wave cabinets. I may still do that if I can't find a suitable folded QW plan.

Lowter changed owners and are going the superexpensive high end way i see. So free diy plans are not valid anymore in their bussiness model.

But there are still a lot arround on the web, altough a lot are not that accurate in design (mostly guessed) like Dave said. They are very often from a time before modelling and measuring was doable and known for diy people. One that is probally wel studied is this: http://wodendesign.com/Blenheim.html by @Scottmoose

Lowter changed owners and are going the superexpensive high end way i see. So free diy plans are not valid anymore in their bussiness model.
Before the recent web redesign they did have rudimentary plans posted on the website. They were not sufficiently detailed to allow one to build the cabs, but when I emailed them asking if they would sell plans for the Acousta 116, they promptly emailed me a 16 page document with detailed construction plans, no charge. The current website does say cabinet plans are "coming soon", and when I asked on their Facebook page they reassured me they would continue to support DIYers, so I would not lose hope just yet. :)

You also got this OB WAW design by Nelson Pass using a Lowther PM6A and 6 woofers in a slot loaded ripole kind of sub. It's very big and not for eaverybody's space. But i heared a variation of it (with Lowter DX4 drivers in stead of the PM6a and Peerless SLS woofers and it did sound great that way. It needs a huge room and an active crossover altough.

https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_slob.pdf

Attachments

• SLOB.jpg
    SLOB.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 204
Most lowthers want some sort of horn. I was quite surprised, when asked, to see about PM6, i was surprised it worked in a miniOnken.

Most of the horns and voigts you will find these ar enot so much designed, as guessed.

dave
Interesting. If I understand correctly the plans for the miniOnken of the photo you sent are for sale. I am interested but would need a bit of general info. Can you tell me the dimension? Do you have -3dB frequency point for these, calculated or measured? thanks
Roger

But there are still a lot arround on the web, altough a lot are not that accurate in design (mostly guessed) like Dave said. They are very often from a time before modelling and measuring was doable and known for diy people. One that is probally wel studied is this: http://wodendesign.com/Blenheim.html by @Scottmoose
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...plans for the Acousta 116...
We built those in 1975. They were sad.

I had a big fold-out drawing. It was not accurate.

Here is what i have archived. I would not build any of them.

dave

Attachments

• acousta116.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 320
  • Lowther-Fedelio-map-resized.gif
    Lowther-Fedelio-map-resized.gif
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,526
  • lowther-acousta116-plan.jpg
    lowther-acousta116-plan.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,462
  • Lowther-TP-1-corner-horn.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 286
  • Lowther_Ldx100.gif
    Lowther_Ldx100.gif
    186.6 KB · Views: 896
Before the recent web redesign they did have rudimentary plans posted on the website. They were not sufficiently detailed to allow one to build the cabs, but when I emailed them asking if they would sell plans for the Acousta 116, they promptly emailed me a 16 page document with detailed construction plans, no charge. The current website does say cabinet plans are "coming soon", and when I asked on their Facebook page they reassured me they would continue to support DIYers, so I would not lose hope just yet. :)
Good to know. Thanks.
Roger

That is a completely different approach and, i understand, has been quite effective. A WAW.

dave
Hi Dave,
Of course I know what an open baffle speaker is but I am not at all familiar with them. What does WAW mean? I Googled it and got nothing! The question that always comes to mind for me is "if open baffle speakers are so good why is it that 99.9% of the speakers built in the world use boxes?
Roger