Looking for reviews of Zaphs SR71 kit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for individuals who have built the kit EXACTLY as Zaph intended the kit. Hopefully some that have built it, can compare it directly to a name brand speaker they own or just post a review of what they think. I am NOT looking for other designers inputs on Zaphs SR71 design. Simply just first person experience on the kit. Thanks!!!

I haven't seen a whole lot of reviews myself, even though a lot of the kits were sold. There's one on Madisound where the guy has some complaints about the instructions and some good tips. There's a guy using them for studio monitors on HTguide.com. I saw a review on AVSguide, though I didn't bookmark the link.

To me, the only review that really mattered was the one I personally got from the Madisound guys when they built theirs for testing. They've heard their share of designs, so it was pretty important to me that they liked the SR71. Otherwise, I generally take subjective reviews with a grain of salt. I've seen a few negative reviews of my designs, (not the SR71 yet though) but when I dig deeper, I often find issues with how the speakers were setup in the listening room.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, there are a lot of system and room mistakes to be wrongly pointed to the speakers. We humans can be so directed by our preconditioned minds, its silly. For instance when we call a friend to listen to our new turntable cartridge, he can spend an hour telling what he likes about it or not, and suggesting how to load it, or new geometry etc, without asking anything about the system at all. Its all about the cartridge! LOL.

P.S. I think that you are the George Thorogood of Audio.

Right on man. Reviews are reviews and always subjective especially with sound. 99% of them are horrible but if you read through all the bs you can find common ground of what people like and dislike. The simple fact that the guys at madisound really liked the sound of them speaks volumes. I have total confidence in the design and they are so affordable I plan to simply build them and try them out after the zd5's are done. Keep up the good work man!

On a side note if you read this... Any word on the transmission line version of the zd5?

Last question. Any design plans coming up in 08 that use the D26NC55? I know it is one heck of a good tweet for it's price point and I bought a pair of pre-china versions with the gold... heatsink on the back and have been waiting for a good design useing them. I also saw when you removed the stupid shaped flange and had a waveguide around it... Thought it was hinting at an up and coming project :D

And of course, no hurry on any of this :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, he is bad to the bone, so he drinks alone one bourbon, one scotch one beer.

Metaphorically speaking as above, I mean he is bad to the audio myths, he keeps on promoting the make alone (DIY), straight, sensible, effective speakers.

Thorogood openly admits he is no genius, no innovator, but he has common sense and some guitar chops. Just genius into being very clever. He still gigs.

Zaph never claimed innovation, never promoted top of the rank kit, or extravaganza. Just common sense. And look, his ideas are making everyday DIY people happy.

For open loudspeaker philosophy, live presence, and higher musical correctness goals, look towards Lynn. He is the main man for pushing the DIY thinkers IMHO. No concrete guides there, mind you.

Say, if the Zaph - Thorogood analogy stands, then think of Lynn as Charlie Parker.

Apologies for the thread-jack...

I would like to see a speaker design book written by John Krutke. I for one would buy it. I don't know what minimum print volumes a publisher would expect, but I believe there is a niche in the market for a book with John's knowledge and skills not to mention his ability to explain concepts.

David.

Dave Bullet said:
Apologies for the thread-jack...

I would like to see a speaker design book written by John Krutke. I for one would buy it. I don't know what minimum print volumes a publisher would expect, but I believe there is a niche in the market for a book with John's knowledge and skills not to mention his ability to explain concepts.

David.

zaph doesn't like to be immortalized if you read his website. he doesn't even want to be in the internet archive so that if he changes his website or improves a design, the old one is wiped from existence.

which is sometimes unfortunate because I want to read some of his older blog posts about certain drivers he's tested but c'est la vie!

any way, I hope his new baby is doing well!

Matt

garage1217 said:

On a side note if you read this... Any word on the transmission line version of the zd5?

And of course, no hurry on any of this :)

Hi,

This is not going to happen anytime soon because the TL prototype
was effectively one mans way of doing it (very short and fat open TL),
rather than any attempt to do it properly, i.e. according to MJK.

Publishing said design would be equivalent to poking yourself
in the eye repeatedly for no apparent reason .......................

:)/sreten.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dave Bullet said:

David.
Be careful what you ask for! Besides being insanely time-consuming and so wasting time that could be spent creating more new designs, a 'book' is so 20th century and instantly out-of-date. I can see where you're coming from though...

Perhaps Zaph could set up a pay-per-view or subscription type website. Discreetly billed to your credit card, so your SO won't know you've been looking at speakers again. Just make sure you clear that internet history! :shhh:

We should throw Zaph an e-shower for his newborn. Send him lots of little baby speakers or something... Or cash... :D

If he even makes it this far into the thread and sees this, congratulations man!

Regards,
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.