LM3875 into 4 Ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to National´s calculator you´d still get around 50W out of it but the required heatsink theoretically would be too large.
(amp will be current limited as well)

Beyond 10W output power the power dissipation grows quite fast.
If you don´t need high power and install big enough heatsinks I don´t see a reason not to use it.

If you´d have to buy the chips first though get the LM3886 obviously or parallel two 3875.

With 24-0-24V?
In my reply I was assuming that you mean 24-0-24V AC
so around +-35V DC.

If your rails are +-24VDC there´s no problem at all.

Please dont try this at home
I already did and guess what : nothing special happened; besides it gets hot very quick.

Of course I do assume that audioPT wants to build something with parts he´s got on hand.
If the transformer still has to be bought I wouldn´t choose 24VAV-secondaries. (rather 18VAC max.)

There are quite a few threads about this BTW. ;)

greets

Mick_F said:
According to the datasheet the power of the LM3875 steeply drops below 8 Ohm. Use the LM3886 instead.

Mick
I can't, the amp is ready! :bawling:

joensd said:
According to National´s calculator you´d still get around 50W out of it but the required heatsink theoretically would be too large.
(amp will be current limited as well)

Beyond 10W output power the power dissipation grows quite fast.
If you don´t need high power and install big enough heatsinks I don´t see a reason not to use it.

If you´d have to buy the chips first though get the LM3886 obviously or parallel two 3875.

Is this heatsink enough? 20x10x4 cm

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Leolabs said:
Please dont try this at home,unless u use lower supply voltage.Check the datasheet of LM3875.

It will be feeding this babes!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've tested it in my bench with a 22-0-22V 150VA transformer with 10.000uF in each rail with 4 Ohm speaker and it didn't get hot...

My doubt is if the chip live enough at mid power...

I'll go to Famalicão saturday night...

But, we can have dinner friday or lunch saturday :cool:

At this moment I don't have any amplifier working... But I'm working hard to let you hear my modest sound :devilr:

I'm changing my system and, as I said to you by phone, I'm painting some rooms in my place.

BUT,

You WILL see and ear my system.

And after it, feel free to :judge: and put in this forum your opinion about my system.

Of course, friday :drink: :hphones: :cd: :hug: :joker: :µphone: :radar: :sax: :vampire: :trapper: :yummy: :yinyang: :drink:

audioPT said:
I'll go to Famalicão saturday night...
But, we can have dinner friday or lunch saturday :cool:

As you wish, for me it's the same.
Next is your time to come to Lisbon.

audioPT said:
At this moment I don't have any amplifier working... But I'm working hard to let you hear my modest sound :devilr:

Worry not, just make your paintings, that's more important.
I'll take an amp and a pre.:D

audioPT said:
And after it, feel free to :judge: and put in this forum your opinion about my system.

I'm not there to judge, just :hphones: and :drink:

audioPT said:
Of course, friday...

Friday it is, then.:wave:

PS: Just listening to The Sound, "Missiles".
Who the hell makes the missiles?:sing:
:cloud9:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.