LM317 or TL783 for a 0-60V power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Sirs,

I would like to build a simple but nice "sounding" 0-60V power supply.:eek:
Is the more expensive and less common TL783 much better than the usual LM317 ?:confused:

Any kind suggestion and indication would be very much appreciated and welcome. :)

Thank you very much and kind regards,:D

beppe61

pinkmouse said:
Don't know the TL device, but the LM isn't rated for more than about 45V IIRC.

Dear Sir,

Actually a LM317 is working with 72V at the input outputting about 59.5 V right now in my power supply (the resistances ratio is not perfectly for a 60V output).
It seems that the LM317 can work provided that the difference Vin-Vout is < 40 V, or something like that.
But there must be a reason why the TL783 is on the market .

I would like very much to hear from anyone that have used it.

Thank you very much for your kind message.

Kind regards,:D

beppe61:)

pinkmouse is still technically correct, you can't use the LM317 for a 0-60V supply unless you put some other device before it to shunt some volts away.

Have you searched on the 783? I was just reading about someone using it this morning in a super regulator thread.

Actually, Leadbelly and Pinkmouse are not correct (beepe61's last post is correct) the LM317 is specified for input/output differential, you could use it in a 60 volt power supply so long as the input voltage was less than about 90. Heck you could probably use it in a 460 volt power supply so long as the input voltage was less than 490.

This has been discussed many times here.

Never heard of the TL783, but have used the super low noise LT1964 and LT1962. They work quite well in a preamp and it was actually hard to measure the noise floor on a scope.

An option is to use the OPA549 power opamp. It has built in current limiting (programmed with a single resistor), and of course, since it's an opamp, the output voltage is easily set (input voltage x gain). It easily betters most regulators, having a 11 A maximum output. The datasheet has examples of using it as a power supply.

lgreen said:
Actually, Leadbelly and Pinkmouse are not correct (beepe61's last post is correct) the LM317 is specified for input/output differential, you could use it in a 60 volt power supply so long as the input voltage was less than about 90.

Maybe you could enlighten us by drawing us the schematic for a 0-60V LM317 variable supply with a 90V input without shunt circuitry? :D

Dear Friends,

I thank you all very much indeed for your kind and extremely valuable comments.
I need a fixed single supply 0-60V able to output at least 0,2 A (to stay safe) to power a DIY preamp.:rolleyes:
The quality of the supply is very fundamental for the final outcome.
To be more precise, the better the PS the better the preamp.
For this reason I am trying to find a nice but not too much complex schematic for a supply.
Just to begin I am using a LM317 based schema to establish a sort of reference base line for quality.
I want to hear what is possible with a very common and simple implementation.
Now you have given me something to study (those Linear Technology regulators and that op-amp).
Any nice schematic would be immensely appreciated here. ;)

Thank you again.

Yours sincerely,

beppe61 :D

regs

The LT devices unlike the LM317 have max and min specified voltages. See here. You probably can't use them for a 60V supply. Too bad, they are nice (and have 200-300 mA current capability) and you get to work with surface mount devices, which is fun....or not. The schematic I've used these with is essentially the one on the data sheet (available at the prior link), pics and more detail are on my web page. Check the bottom of this page.

You might also want to check out the BOSOZ power supply, its a discrete regulated supply at pos and neg. 80V. Check here. This could be modified to 60V.

Dear Friends,

I want to thank all of you sincerely for your extremely kind and valuable support.
It is my intention to test the LM350T in place of LM317 in my power supply.
The ripple rejection of the 350 seems a little higher than that of the 317 and the fact the the 350 can output up to 3A is a nice addition (may be is less stressed than the 317 also at lower amperage).

Thank you again to everyone.

Kind regards,

beppe61

here's a circuit which works well -- the opamp "floats" -- the opamp in the LM10 isn't particularly fast (100kHz) and isn't particularly noiseless -- but I have used it in a variety of circuits and it is quite useful.

Attachments

• lm10.jpg
    lm10.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,066
Dear Mr. Jackinnj,

Thank you very much indeed for your kind and very valuable help.
Concerning the schema you uploaded, how do you set the Vout?
There is a limit for the Vin and for the delta Vin-Vout ?

Thank you very much again for your kind support.

Kind regards,

beppe61

Re: The LM317 is ok.

flying_xu said:
The LM317 is ok.

Dear Sir,

Thank you sincerely for your extremely kind and valuable support.
It is my intention to test also the LM350T in place of LM317 in my power supply.
The ripple rejection of the 350 seems a little higher than that of the 317 and the fact the the 350 can output up to 3A is a nice addition (may be is less stressed than the 317 also at lower amperage).
What is your opinion on the use of a LM350T instead of a LM317?

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

beppe61

i think ypu should try TL783

it will go 700mA and operated well at 60V, i havn't try it but, i think you should see the: http://www.gyraf.dk/ check out the G9 preamp mic there's TL783 drive 250V for the tubes, check the schematic..I think you can start there, for the LM350 it depend the application, LM350 is limited to 33V in the datasheeet, so my opinion i think you should use TL783..goodluck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.