List of Artists Who Generally Make High Quality Recordings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,
From what I listened to through the years I'd additionally recommend:
--Joni Mitchell
--Paul Simon
--"later" David Bowie stuff
--Kim Wilson (most of his solo works are in Mono)
Labels:
--AudioQuest
--JVC K2 (the remastered Audioquest stuff issued also seems to sound better, here)
--Mapleshade
--Stockfisch (Accoustic Guitars ! Chris Jones used to do a lot of "work" for them.)
--Older Verve and Blue Note stuff (the original "approved" stuff, here) depending on mastering.( -- especially the Toshiba HS2088 mastering -- the SBM-Remasters, well, I still
can't say that they are better )
--in general all Rudy-van-Gelder-recordings, as far as I've come across it -- yes and "depends on mastering" also applies here.
In general I found japanese pressings more pleasing than the comparable European- or US-Pressings. (Blue Note, Columbia/CBS, Impulse)
-- Telarc I'd rather put in a mixed bag, IMHO musically sometimes inferior to other recordings of their artists. (My listening experience here is more confined to their Blues/Roots/Jazz-kind recordings.)

Hope this helps a bit ....

Greez

SigFire

A couple of heavier artists who consistently make high quality recordings:
Iron Maiden
Tool / A Perfect Circle

+1.
Dream Theater also.

Some older Metallica
Goldfrapp
Pink Floyd.

To avoid?
More recent Metallica and Madonna. Just looking at the waveforms in Audacity makes me cry. I cannot reconcile with Madge's Confessions... album. Even chopping 9dB off the highs...it's still unlistenable.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.