• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Linestage suggestion for Kuei Yang Wang's phonostage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

In the past few days, I have been reading many threads on this post. And decided to build both phono and linestage amp. I have noticed that some of you built Kuei Yang Wang's phonostage which I am about to do as well. So, I am asking for your suggestions as to what type of linestage I should look into. I would really appreciate your help.
Thank you very much.

Yaho

attachment.php

6sn7 or 12b4 other suggestions?

Hi again

I read many threads concerning line stage options. They were very informative. I am actually narrowing down my options to either 12b4 and 6sn7. To be more specific, I am going to run these set up with EL84 based vintage amps and vintage altec set up.

Thanks again. I would really appreciate your input.

Yaho

Hi Yaho

Depending on the input sensitivity of the power amps (which I expect t be quite low, I mean, something in the 100 to 500mV range) you may not need additional gain after the RIAA stage (this, off course, depends on the output of the RIAA stage, you can calculate that, as the gain of KYW's circuit is given = 42dB).

Additionally, if the RIAA stage is physically close to the power amps, a simple 1M volume pot at the power amp input may be 'enough' as preamp. I would recommend you to start with this setup, an additional preamp can always be added depending on the requirements you need (gain, low output impedance).

Erik

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Your CD player is likely to have an output of around about 2V, hence it is most likely that only attenuation will be required for it to drive your power amplifier.

If the output from the phono stage is in the region of 500mV - 1V, and your cables are reasonably short (i.e. relatively low in capacitance) then an input selector switch and an attenuator (or potentiometer) may be all that you need.

Thanks for that info

Thanks for that info. It's something I did not even think about. I will give that a try.

On the other hand. Has anyone built this Phono stage? I am patiently waiting for my parts to arrive. :D And I would love to hear from the ones who has built this phonostage.

Thanks very much.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.