Kenwood KAC-9104D drawing high current

Not fully versed on what is meant by "deflection" on an oscilloscope. I wasn't sure how I could touch the B+ terminal and monitor IC6 pin1 at the same time. I connected probe 2 and touched that one to B+and the waveform on IC6 pin1 started to shake like there was an earthquake but there was no interruption or change in amplitude, just shaking. The top and bottom of the waveform is still of the top and bottom of the screen at 5V/div.

When I turn the amplifier off, on 5V/div, the waveform shrinks down into the screen to approximately ±4V for a second just before disappearing as the amp shuts down. That's the only time pin1 of IC6 has a triangle waveform of approximately ±4V.

Set at 5V/10us the line goes off the top of the screen when the probe tip is touched to the B+ terminal. I have to do it with a solid touch to get a clean deflection because if it doesn't touch immediately and firmly I get all sorts of noise and squiggly lines on the screen before it goes back to a straight line. If I get a good solid touch, the straight line would just bump up off the top of the screen leaving the top edge red for a split second and then drop back down to just over the middle horizontal line.

Set the probe to 10x, DC coupling, 5v/10us/div

Attachments

• IMG_20220806_230653__01.jpg
    IMG_20220806_230653__01.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220806_230703__01.jpg
    IMG_20220806_230703__01.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 29
With a speaker connected I don't hear anything audible except for a small pop when the amp powers up. I probed the outputs at 10us just to see what the waveform looked like. There is audio if I connect the RCAs and input music.

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_014104__01.jpg
    IMG_20220807_014104__01.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 31
That noise on the output is carrier leaking through the output filter. It's a bit excessive. Since you swapped the inductor, it could be due to a bad filter cap but could also be normal. Some amps are noisy (inaudible).

There is more DC offset than I'd expect. Measure the DC offset across the speaker terminals with your multimeter.

Connect a signal (sine wave preferred) and increase the output but not so much that the amp shuts down. Does the offset increase when the signal is driven into the amp? Check with and without a load.

Amp idles at 680-700mv of DC offset with no load and no input. Feeding it 100hz sine wave with no load and increasing the gain causes the DC offset to rise until it reaches about 720mv and the amp shuts down. Connecting a 2ohm dummy load to it causes the amp to idle at 670-680mv of DC offset. Driving a 100hz signal into the amp and increasing the gain causes the current draw to increase as well as the DC offset until it passes about 745mv and then jumps to 1.7mv and high current draw and just sits there even if the gain is turned back down, which is when I turn the amp off.