Karlson

freddi

Paid Member
2005-08-16 4:21 pm
Hi Mr B1

I don't believe there have been any builds of TB46's Karlflex.

Will there be an omni reflector for your top driver ?

Attachments

• twp tweeter.jpg
    twp tweeter.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 39
Will there be an omni reflector for your top driver ?
First time I've seen such an omni reflector - thank you for posting it. Right now I really like the sound of it just firing up. If I get close I can hear the character of the throat, but 2-3 meters away it's extremely natural and voices seem rocks solid suspended in air rather than coming from anywhere - even in a mono setup. I also have what is a 90% scale version of the EV HP940 horn flare but I'll consider other options, including all you put forward, if I can't get the voicing right. Judged on someone else who went this path said it was easier to integrate rather than the horn amplifying the 500-3Khz area even more than the driver by itself does. You probably had the same with your EV+k-tube?

freddi

Paid Member
2005-08-16 4:21 pm
Karlson's final "Acoustic Transducers" patent 3540544 said an elliptical reflector could improve evenness of response and dispersion.

There are FOUR Karlson X15 at Ebay with their 3-panel ellipse approximation and slotted pipe tweeter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/334448068543?hash=item4ddea887bf:g:k7YAAOSwdOdih~5r

X15 was introduced in the fall of 1965 and originally sported a mini - clam/klam tweeter with 3" cone speaker to augment their CTS 15 inch woofer.

Karlson expert Carl Neuser favors curved reflectors in his builds. I'm pretty sure his X15 would be to regular size (28x20x15) so the reflector can not be vastly different than JK's X15 and still fit. Can simple ray tracing determine what works well? My t41" tall K18 sounds great - I think its height could be reduced to 36".

Its too bad there's a lack of appreciation for the Karlson design as something like Akabak 3 an a lot of modeling might come of with some answers without physical prototype.