Just tested one side of my Zen -no joy ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just completed one side of the Aleph current source Zen. Hooked it up, rectifier fried and nearly took out my iron cored inductor (underspecified salvaged bit), replaced that. I have taken a friends advise and substituted basic TO3 power transistors to test the circuit. Transistors heat up nicely and test speaker has a soft hum when put up to the ear. I am using a tuner to generate the test signal (less than two volts). I can hear the signal very faintly. If I turn the amp off the hum disapears- to be expected- and the signal comes through slightly stronger.
I stripped down the circuit and rebuilt it to see if I had made a mistake, same result. there is slightly more than 0.66 voltage drop across R1, about 0.8, but there is 2 amps of current through it.
I will go back and look again in the morning. Any ideas as to what might be going wrong?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.