JL Audio 500/5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a JL Audio that has came in for repair. The sub channel plays clean audio but the rear speaker are distorted and front speaker have no audio. With panel removed I see 4 driver boards. The 2 front boards have additional LEDS lit. There are no visible burn marks and amp is not in shutdown. Do these LEDS not being indicate driver board fault.

Attachments

• 4B7AB1DA-ECE1-45F6-99F5-A4C077E804A2.jpg
    4B7AB1DA-ECE1-45F6-99F5-A4C077E804A2.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 88
Yes. It's likely the most common problem that don't involve blown outputs. You can see the crack that develops in the attached image.

There are other problems but this is the first thing to do.

If you don't desolder be fore resoldering, the problem will often reoccur because the oxide layer isn't completely removed.

If you have ChipQuik, use it to remove the driver boards if you remove them to do the work.

Attachments

• IMG_9566x.jpg
    IMG_9566x.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 73
I removed the resistors one driver board resistors pads were coming off, so I installed some 1/4 watt resistors. The driver board to the left was okay I cleaned the pad and reinstalled them. When I powered the amp up all 4 driver boards were on and then the right back board started flickering

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 81
Yes the driver board is working correctly now. I did however short the outputs one channel. It over heated checking signal with no load and FETs weren’t clamped. I just repacked them and bias those outputs. During disassemble 2 of the FET clamps broke at the bend. I am assuming because it was 5c in my garage during disassemble. Do you know when I can flirt these at?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.