JBL 2225, 2123 and 075 3-Way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Gents and Ladies,
What do you think?
I have collected pairs of JBL 2225’s, JBL 2123’s and 075’s Plus a JBL 18 inch sub (I do not recall the number) I believe that the 15 inch woofers and 10 inch mids will work well together. I am not so sure about the mids and 075 ring tweeters playing well together. D130’s and 075 were paired together with the XO about 3000 Hz.
Any thoughts, ideas, comments about these drivers being used in a HT system?
DT
All just for fun!

More Fun

Hello Gents and Ladies,
What do you think?
I have collected pairs of JBL 2225’s, JBL 2123’s and 075’s Plus a JBL 18 inch sub (I do not recall the number) I believe that the 15 inch woofers and 10 inch mids will work well together. I am not so sure about the mids and 075 ring tweeters playing well together. D130’s and 075 were paired together with the XO about 3000 Hz.
DT
All just for fun!

DT,
I concur with Robh3606's recommendation to replace the HF driver.
See the following URLs for additional information concerning frequency response of the JBL driver complement you are using: (I am assuming that these drivers are the newer ferrite magnet, rather than the older ALNICO versions.)
1) 2402 (075) HF Ring Radiator
Ring Radiator Comparisons
Note that recommended minimum high pass frequency is 2.5 kHz, assuming a minimum slope of 12 dB/Oct (for this limit as well as others to follow). Its sensitivity of 110 dB will need to be padded down to match that of the LF Driver. If the budget permits, use of a TAD TD2001 or TD2002 is recommended, due to their superior performance, particularly between 15-20 kHz and below in the 1-3 kHz range as well. Their use could be limited to front channels only if the system is more than a2.1 configuration.
2) 2123 10" MF Driver
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=48299&d=1288665517
Note that recommended maximum low pass frequency is 3,000 Hz, so the overlap region with the HF unit is tight. Minimum recommended high pass frequency is 300 Hz. So here there is a wide margin for overlap with the LF unit. Sensitivity for this unit is 101 dB SPL. and requires some padding of its output to match that of the LF unit as well.
3) 2225 LF Driver
Note that the maximum recommended low pass frequency is 1,200 Hz. Sensitivity is 97 dB SPL. In a sealed, 5 cf, enclosure, -4 dB drop in output occurs at 100 Hz and continues downward from there.
At this point, or nearby, the subwoofer(s) will take over to complete coverage of the bottom end.

To keep this project in the fun category, recommend you use an electronic crossover and separate power amplifiers, particularly to drive LF and VLF drivers. The amplifiers to drive the MF and HF units do not require the 'heft' that you will want to use at the low end. Their cost should not materially exceed that of the passive crossovers that otherwise would be required.

Regards,

WHG

Driver Specifications:
[1a]
JBL 2402
Ultra-High Frequency Transducers
[1b] TAD TD-2001
Pioneer USA - TD-2001 -
[1c] TAD TD-2002
Pioneer USA - TD-2002 -
[1d] Horns for TAD Compression Drivers
Yuichi's Audio Lab
Yuichi's Audio Lab.
[2] JBL 2123
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2123.pdf
[3] JBL 2225
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2225hj.pdf

Last edited:
Hello Gents and Ladies,
What do you think?
DT
All just for fun!
The 2225/2123 and B&C DE250/Ewave combo was tried by me some time ago using a DCX for xover and I liked it a lot. Because I have a quad of AE TD10M gathering dust, I decided to use them instead for the project and the 2123 have been earmarked for something else. Xovers are 300 and 1k7 and I wouldn't run the 2123 up to 3k.

I'm running the 2225 ported and will cross to Tempests for sub duties.

Hello,
Thank you for the information.
I am encouraged to look for an HF unit that will XO at a lower frequency. I did not see that any of the smaller JBL’s has an XO any lower. I did see that some have wider dispersion than the 075. I also see that the 2 inch JBL’s do XO much lower (1200 Hz). Is there a 1 inch JBL that crosses over lower?
The 075’s have ALNICO magnets. The others are of the ferrite variety.
Yes to keep it fun I use a Behringer DCX2496 digital crossover and a Rane MA6 six pack amplifier.
DT
All just for fun!

Is there a 1 inch JBL that crosses over lower?
There are the 2407 and 2408 but they are to the best of my knowledge BMS units anyway. There are lots of great HF drivers out there to choose from, from B&C, Beyma, BMS, Faital Pro etc so there is no need to hobble yourself unless you are a brand fan.

Of course they will all need a waveguide or horn. The JBL units I use are available as spares for about $US10/ea. Google 'econowave' and look for the thread at Audiokarma.
The 075’s have ALNICO magnets. The others are of the ferrite variety.
Alnico, schmalnico. Good design is good design. There have been lots of other developments in motors, diaphragms and surrounds since the 075 that would likely swamp any potential performance difference because of alnico being used in the motor.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.