Interesting and counter-intuitive: an example of dithering effect on auditory system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Contrary to a common belief, the presence of white noise can actually unmask sounds:
Good noise, bad noise: White noise improves hearing -- ScienceDaily
Does this mean that "privacy" measures used in open-space offices have the opposite effect?
Maybe, for a certain range of levels, but if the masking noise is strong enough, probably not.

Is "strong enough" going to be problematic or intrusive is another interesting question

Hearing loss

My results

Attachments

• 572663D5-215E-4282-91B3-7FD110D7BE2E.png
    572663D5-215E-4282-91B3-7FD110D7BE2E.png
    348.8 KB · Views: 97
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
As far as I know about hearing, there are mainly two types: selective and analythical.
The former makes it possible to 'filter out' surrounding noises, the latter includes everything into a 'frequency response analysis'. Adding (coloured) noise to sound will have different effects and results on these types of hearing.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> As far as I know about hearing, there are mainly two types: selective and analythical.

That's a novel thesis. With direct application to many hearing questions. If you can show a valid basis, you should submit a paper to the audiology publications.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.