• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Input transformer for His Master's Noise


Paid Member
Lundahl MC transformers are quite good, I have used a number of them, but you need to provide information on the cartridge you will be using with them.

I am partial to the LL1931 and LL1941 and use 1941s with my SPU A95.

Transformers – K & K Audio

Look at the MC Input transformer section. Kevin Carter is knowledgeable and helpful - a good and willing source of advice.
"his master noise"

Sowter 8055 is suitable for MC catridge with internal impedance less than 15 ohms.


  • Sowter Type 8055.pdf
    156.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0271.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 152


2019-11-30 11:59 am
Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll contact K & K as suggested. My main cartridge for the past 10 years is a Shelter 901 II MC. I also have an SL 20 E and a Clearaudio Stradivari arriving before Christmas. I don't see any suggestions for vintage transformers. Should they be avoided?


Paid Member
There are vintage types like the UTC HA-100X which are very good, but hideously expensive. I prefer the LL1941 to the 100X.

I have also had Partridge 977 and 973 which while nice were more than a bit euphonic.

The Cinemag 3440A may be a good match to the Shelter cartridge you have. I had a pair, but ended up preferring others.

I've also been down the solid state head amp path which did not work out for me.

I have omitted several other transformers because I no longer remember what they were.. LOL