Infinity Ref. 1230w 12" for TH?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of these drivers that have sat in a closet for 4 years and I was wondering if they would
both be suitable for use in a double 12 tapped horn:
Infinity reference 1230w 12"

Sens. 2.83v@1m: 90 db
P.handling: 300 wrms
Imp: 4 ohms
V.C.: 2"
Re: 3.4 ohms
Le :2.54 mH
Sd: 82.48 in2
BL: 14.63(tm)
Vas: 2.78 cu.ft
Mms: 174.1 grams
Mmd: 167.15 grams
Cms: 195.4
Fs: 27.27 hz
Qms:6.14
Qes: 0.47
Qts: 0.44
Xmax: 12.25 mm
I think the bl may be a it low?
Would they be better suited for a HT sub or for music??
Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated as I don't have access to a computer for quite a while.
And no I'm not going to jail:)

Hi Top Shelf,

A TH using 2 drivers would be large ~> 15 cu. ft.:eek:
In case of home use,if you care for good integration and SQ: you probably have to invest in an advanced EQ if the TH is tuned low and in stereo-signal delay lines for your Mains too.

Why not build two easy to place and integrate: T-TQWT:s:D without the former mentioned drawbacks, promising good SQ for Music as well as for HT.

b:)

Attachments

• InfinityRef1230W_T-TQWT.JPG
    InfinityRef1230W_T-TQWT.JPG
    485.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
.. I just cant find it.

I found 74 hits when searching 'T-TQWT' at this forum.

Edit: I have some experience. so far I've built 9 and soon 2 more in the pipe.
Try search bjorno too:D, hint: look for information in submitted pictures like these never posted before:

Attachments

• a_as-is.JPG
    a_as-is.JPG
    582.7 KB · Views: 114
  • b_as-is_Wavecor-T-TQWT-2.JPG
    b_as-is_Wavecor-T-TQWT-2.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 120
  • c_Wavecor-SW182BD02-T-TQWT-3.jpg
    c_Wavecor-SW182BD02-T-TQWT-3.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Thanks a lot, those details look pretty good and the xmax looks real good. I am going to use them with a 250 wpc amp. Originally I was going to go with a ported box which I have the formulas for but I thought I would throw it out there to see if they would perform better in a different setup. Is a T-TQWT a tapped quarter wave transmission line? I've always wanted to try my hand at a tranny line! And it is really compact:)
Thanks for the work you did!

Thanks a lot, those details look pretty good and the xmax looks real good. I am going to use them with a 250 wpc amp. Originally I was going to go with a ported box which I have the formulas for but I thought I would throw it out there to see if they would perform better in a different setup. Is a T-TQWT a tapped quarter wave transmission line? I've always wanted to try my hand at a tranny line! And it is really compact:)
Thanks for the work you did!

Hi Jeremy, You've got it right, a T-TQWT is a Tapped Tapered Quarter Wave Tube or maybe better a T-TL as the performance relies on damping of the higher frequency content through the airways, but if sparsely damped and if the terminus is a K- coupler the T-TL would be a misnomer.

Blamus,

PS: Found one more picture containing IMO.IME information.:xfingers:

Attachments

• Wavecor-T-TQWT-realmeas-.JPG
    Wavecor-T-TQWT-realmeas-.JPG
    873.2 KB · Views: 87
Oh come on! I have searched, all the results that come up are just T-TQWT designs (mostly you :D) but doesn't explain to me what it does or what it is compared to other alignments. I only started looking because for every tapped horn design thread there is on here, you suggest a T-TQWT, so I assume its got its own unique advantages?

Where can I read more about this T-TQWT you keep mentioning? How does it compare to other alignments? What are their advantages/disadvantages? Is it a type of horn?

I'm sure there's some good reading somewhere, I just cant find it.
A T-TQWT is a BandPass like enclosure. It is a BP without the hard to tune ports/PRs, and chambers. It also does away with the issues that come from normal ports.

It is not a horn. It is a quarter-wave enclosure. Similar on the surface, but not the same.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.